BoTM Bike of The Month October 2023 - Time to vote

Bike of The Month

Pick your winner

• Carge's 1991 Bontrager Race

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • Slackboys 1991 GT Zaskar

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Siish’ weird estay thing (Suspected British Eagle Boss)

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • synlos' 1989 Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • PhillB's 1991 GT Team Avalanche Midnight Aurora

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Jourian's 1987 Koga Miyata RidgeRunner

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • MSYT’s 1992 Schwinn Series 90 PDG

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • wicket’s 1992 Alpinestars cro-mega dx

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Racecarjohnny’s 1991 Mountain Goat Route 66

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • Jam_SWorks’ 1996/97 Bianchi XL Mega Pro – Titanium

Votes: 13 9.8%
  • Deanphoto’s 1993 GT Team RTS

Votes: 16 12.1%
  • Jimmy Oldskool’s 1997 Breezer Lightning

Votes: 12 9.1%
  • Quebulas' 1989 Peugeot Anaconda

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Guigui58’s 1993 Kona Explosif

Votes: 15 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I agree with this...I guess that's the whole thing really, vote for what you like :). It's all about personal preference, which is why we have so many varied and awesome bikes each month. I have modern tyres on most of my builds, because I ride all of them. Smoke and Darts or a couple with the SimWorks Super Yummy tyres, which I find make my Zaskar ride like a dream. Most of them look kinda retro, but are clearly modern. Personally, I'm not a fan of Nobby Nics, but that's just me, I voted for the Breezer, coz it's awesome.. 😄
I'm the same mate, all comes down to the aesthetic of the bike... 👍

I keep my bikes in my cellar. It would normally be really damp, but I use a dehumidifier. It works great for keeping the cellar dry but it's awful for 25+ year old tyres, especially tyres with tanwalls. It doesn't take long for them to dry out and go all crumbly.
For this reason, I usually replace the tyres with new ones.

There's a mix of old and new on my bikes, mostly Smoke/Dart reissues, they all get ridden but the two most used are on modern tubeless, it was a reaction to a spate of thorn punctures, which tubeless basically eradicates.

So it seems the newer tyres are the real preferred choice, however a few sticklers for originality want to see OEM or ACTUAL period tyres on these bikes?...

It's not dissimilar to the classic/exotic car market that I work in...Clients will want a numbers matching car with original date stamped tyres etc, irrespective how cracked and crazed they get...Holding air is the only criteria...Then wonder why they drive like shit and have to revert to having modern rubber fitted, albeit trying to obtain the closest aesthetic, granted...

At the end of the day, it's the one contact patch between the trail/road...personally, I want the best contact patch possible when I'm riding 👍

(None of these comments above of course qualify for unridden wall hangers, which IMO should have their own themed month anyway and not be in the mix of regularly ridden machinery, irrespective of how high or low end! *controversial*) 😬

Well that went right to the wire! Congratulations to @deanphoto for the win and a big thanks to all who took the time to enter

Latest posts

Back