Bent integrated derailleur hanger

Magpiegifts

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
I need some advice guys.

I have a 2005 scott genius rc Ltd which as most will know Does not have a replaceable derailleur hanger. And as the headline says it's bent from a big impact with a boulder.

Looking for thoughts on how to possibly straighten as best as poss.

I've considered heating, putting in a vice.

This is way out of my field of expertise. Any suggestions appreciated.

:)

Attachments

• 1593711136973202152605.jpg
    1593711136973202152605.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 441
  • 15937112466201448566640.jpg
    15937112466201448566640.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 441
Re:

There are tools for this, but you can use a threaded axle in the mech bolt hole as it is the same thread. Gently and slowly, csnt stress gently and slowly enough, tease it back into shape. If you do it fast it will stress and weaken the metal more than you want.

From the pics it looks twisted to, so you could use a vice to flatten it out, again gently and slowly.

yep ... cold resetting is possible and is fine. I did it with the subtle tool of a mahoosive Bahco adjustable spanner. You can tighten the spanner onto the hanger at different angles to get the bend and then the twist out....

I've seen it done to another Scott of similar age. That bike is still being ridden round ~10 years after the repair. There was a repair kit to convert to a bolt on hanger for some models, haven't seen one of those for a few years either......

legrandefromage":3ic2ih9w said:
But yours looks cracked and ovalised, danson67 may be able to assist if you send him pictures.

Was thinking the same thing, is it cracked ?

It is cracked,but I started to thread mech on to see if it would. And it did.

It's just the angle it's not ovalised. Thanks for the advice. Appreciated

Re:

Well, as the others have said...very carefully bend it back straight with a combination of vice and an axle (M10 x 1.0 thread).
Room temp is OK, no neeed to heat on a big forged dropout like that, just be very, very gentle.

With any luck it will go back straight, and a derailleur will hold in the thread when tightened, even though the hole is a little elongated. You'll need a dropout alignment tool for the final alignment work.
However to me it looks like there's possibly a crack there, too. If it is cracked, or breaks while straightening, then that's a whole different matter to be explored if the need arises...

If it can be straightened, but won't hold a derailleur well:
There are kits to mend this thread (VAR and Eldi at least) (https://www.bike-components.de/en/VAR/D ... t-p59752/) where the hole is drilled out to 13mm plain and a threaded sleeve with a nut on the end is fed through from the chain side of the dropout as the derailleur is screwed on. This works fine, but there needs to be a lot of meat on the hanger to cope with such a large hole, and can sometimes foul the chain on the smallest sprocket.

Alternatively, an M10 x 1.0 Helicoil kit (same thread on small spark and glow plugs)...once the hanger is straight, drill and tap the hole slightly oversized, screw in the stainless steel thread insert...These are the right thread, but tend to be a little long, 13.5mm, so need a bit of work to prevent the loose ends from hanging out and snagging things.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1605593518

I have the equipment to do either of these procedures.

All the best,

Attachments

• s-l640.jpg
    s-l640.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 314
  • 69_354_715_XL (Small).png
    69_354_715_XL (Small).png
    85.6 KB · Views: 314
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back