Benelux Mk7 Issue

vociferous

Dirt Disciple
I'm trying to get my Grubb up and running, and noticed something wonky that that my Mk7 mech is doing: When I increase cable tension, the adjusting nut tips away from the body of the derailleur. If I try to re-tighten the adjusting nut, it simply compresses the springs more, and I'm left with the same situation. I have already tried replacing the large "taper tension" spring (the spring was bent when I removed it). Is the problem the volute spring needing replacement, or, perhaps, the spring locator cup that is out-of-position? I'm about at wit's end on this, and these mechs will go back in the box forever if I can't suss it out.
It appears the spring(s) are not supplying adequate counter-tension to the adjusting nut.

P4120002.JPG

See if you can get it focused on the derailleur and not the pedal. Can’t really see what’s going on. I’ve got a Mk7 at work, I’ll see if I can spot what you mean.

The adjuster nut does appear to be loose, and can't see why you have so much of OE60 sticking out unless you are running a 2 speed.

As suggested try to focus the camera.
Keith

Here are some pics of mine which should be roughly correctly adjusted for a 3-speed.

So on the threaded bit (OE60) you've got the lock nut (OE62) on the outside. Undo the lock nut and you can wind the threaded barrel in and out of OE14 which, when tightened down, sets the chain position for the slowest gear. Back locknut flats are under the knurled cap if you pull the bellows back. Use the loop on the spring B13 to set the tension on the cage. As Keith said, looks like yours is wound all the way off the adjuster.

Attachments

• bene71.jpg
    bene71.jpg
    413.3 KB · Views: 6
  • bene72.jpg
    bene72.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 6
  • bene73.jpg
    bene73.jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 6
I tried screwing the threaded tube in all the way and re-tightening the shaft nut at the other end.
One problem is that I have to set the threaded tube out quite a ways to reach the 28T cog low gear on my 4-speed block. That is when I seem to be getting the tipping of the shaft/spring assembly, which was the original issue.
I think I am not getting adequate tension from the spring because I installed the retainer cup incorrectly? I took a couple pics as well as I could, I hope they help. The placement of that retainer cup is a question mark to me.

Attachments

• P4150004.JPG
    P4150004.JPG
    332.9 KB · Views: 4
  • P4150005.JPG
    P4150005.JPG
    250.1 KB · Views: 4
The threaded tube is for adjusting so that the top roller is slightly nearer the spokes, but basically in line with your large cog. 28t is pushing it a bit, even if you had a new spring. The outside locking nut does not look tight, or possibly thread crossed.
Let us see what it looks like when you have adjusted horizontally, and have the chain tensioned and on the large cog, picture from behind the gear.
The earlier Benelux with alloy arm I have used (1956) with 6 speed block, by a bit of bending and tweaking of the arm and cage.
You must have the cable very free running and lubricated to have any chance of getting the 28.
Do you have 2 chainrings and if so how many teeth?

Keith

Back