Barn find zaskar now oranges helping neighbour

So why the unconventional ‘standard’ setup?View attachment 559624

With the brakes at the rear it stops flex of the arms, in theory creating more power. On the front of the fork when the brake is applied the rim directional force pulls the brake around, behind it pushes the brake onto the fork creating a stiffer brake. Same at the rear, the brake is pushing onto the stays.

Thanks for all the replies. Will leave as is. She’s buying a few parts inc new bb. Will crack on once they arrive and post result. This will be a road biased with occasional off road build.

Finished neighbours bike. Absolute pain and I’m not happy with it but she will be. Xt v pivots are really sloppy. Forks squelch. Bearings grumble. Rear mech shot. Replacement had bits missing. Saddle torn. Seat clamp missing so she forced on a smaller one. She’s attempted to fix it herself and made things far worse. £40 in parts from me. Plus a good few hours. She has others but I’ll politely decline thanking her for reminding me why I do this as a hobby for myself only.

88A35E9B-8D81-4360-A2AD-E10E83C84E58.jpeg

Finished neighbours bike... She’s attempted to fix it herself and made things far worse. £40 in parts from me. Plus a good few hours. She has others but I’ll politely decline thanking her for reminding me why I do this as a hobby for myself only.

Sounds like you made the best of a bad job.
I'll never forgive my other half for "volunteering" my services to fix next doors bikes. There's a weekend I'll never get back, trying to fix the unfixable, filthy, never maintained bikes for zero cost as it seems they didn't want to spend any money on them 🙄. Then Mrs Jimo claimed half the bottle of wine I received as "payment".... the cheek! 😄

I think we need to set up an entire thread on times we have been burnt mine was repairing unrepairable fox forks which I admittedly made worse but then shelled out £250 to replace with ‘upgraded’ ones as the ones given were perfect when they were already for the bin TBH :(

We reached a compromise as she needs bikes for her children and apparently has more in the barn. I visit and select the best and se others as donors. I wonder how many……….

Back