Joshuas 1996 (?) Litespeed Oecooe

Joshua

Dirt Disciple
Hi Guys,

I just joined up because I find Retrobike to be of excellent quality regarding information on older mountainbikes, I have a few of my own which I would like to share with you.

First some about me: I started mountainbiking in 1989 and was given my first bike by my parents, a white Raleigh featuring Shimano Exage 300 (If I remember correctly) and a Reynolds 501 frame. Nothing too fancy but for a 14 year old it was heavenly! It was a last years model so we got it discounted. This bike needed a new front fork pretty soon as the old one wasn't made from cromoly steel and couldn't handle my wheelies and it got too bent so I replaced it. The bike was an 18-speed with thumbies which I upgraded to 21-speed with Shimano 300LX STI-shifters (the grey, round models). It also featured Biopace rings which didn't seem very useful to me. I rode approximately 2 years on this bike.
==edit, 22-03-2015 00:08==
John had the same bike as me, see: viewtopic.php?t=95454
IMG_1292%20_1024x683__zpscxf6ow4m.jpg

this pic is courtasy of John, when I find a pic of my own personal bike I'll post it.

Next was my Basso Rocky Mountain with Columbus SL tubing from Italy which I bought secondhand from the bikestore owner, it was black/yellow, specced with Shimano XT 732 (?), the thumbshifters / wide brakes and I had it repainted in a titanium colour bacause the paintwork was really bad, you could dent the paint just by pressing your nail into it. Unfortunately this got nicked so I needed something else.
==edit 22-03-2015, 00:23==
This is why I like retrobike: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=277496
10690627953_294978fa5f_b_zpsiuewnnbw.jpg

photo courtesy of Crantinope

In 1994 I bought a Koga-Miyata Gentslux racer as I started roadracing. It was a steel frame with allow fork and was specced with Shimano Ultegra 600 STi. I changed the standard silvercoloured Mavic rims to black semi-aero Campagnolo rims.
koga02_zpsjzeky8t7.jpg

koga01_zpstnfsnz1v.jpg

koga04_zps3otsznsn.jpg

koga06_zpsnnrnhhpw.jpg

This bike was converted to a flatbar cityracer after one of my brothers drunkenly crashed it and fucked the rear STi-unit. I sold it in 2006 to a friend.

Enter the purple Cannondale Super-V with carbonfiber swingarm, specced with Shimano XTR and yellow Magura's. A really nice bike except for the front shock that kept breaking and the Dutch Cannondale distributor ideas of warranty and making appointments were below all acceptable standards.

Next bike: Gary Fisher Joshua XO, orange/black and completely rebuilt for easy maintainance. The standard STX (?) was donned in favour of a set WTB-wheels (rims, hubs, DT-spokes) with XTR mechs, brakelevers but kept the standard Avid brakes, just replaced the padholders by WTB for easy changing. WTB headset, RaceFace rings, Judy SL fork and RockShox rear shock with remote control by thumbie. This was ridden for some 3 years with a Bob Yak trailer behind it while holidaying. this bike sits retired in my garage now and I have very fond memories of this bike. It's nickname is "Fat Bastard".

Then came some temporary bikes from a no name steely to some B1 trailbike to a 1990 Klein Atttitude, it featured Phil Wood hubs and retro XT parts and it was a single speed bike. I bought this as a frame with hubs from a bikemessenger from Arnhem, NL who apparently moved to Barcelona.

klein2.jpg

klein3.jpg

klein1.jpg

I also have a Flevobike Racer, a 26" recumbent with XTR wheels, racerings and a mix of XTR and XT. Suspension is a double air RockShox in the back. It features a Shimano Flightdeck computer.

Flevo_totaalaanzicht_2.jpg

Now the real subject of this topic; my 1996/1997 Litespeed Oecoee:

IMG_20150321_125026_zps85z8ova7.jpg

IMG_20150321_125053_zps2xaxtgsq.jpg

IMG_20150321_125100_zps9isb3zfc.jpg

P1040082.jpg

IMG_20150321_125739_zpsderksujt.jpg

Specs:
  1. Frame: Litespeed Oecooe
  2. Fork: RockShox SID
  3. Headset: Chris King, blue
  4. Hubs: Chris King, blue
  5. QR: Dura-Ace
  6. Rims: Mavic
  7. Spokes: double butted with alloy nipples
  8. Tyres: WTB Nanoraptor
  9. Front mech: XTR
  10. Crank: XTR
  11. BB: XTR
  12. pedals: none
  13. Shifters: XTR STI
  14. Stem: Ritchey
  15. Handlebar: Ritchey
  16. Bar ends: ?
  17. Brakes: XTR V-brakes
  18. Pads: Koolstop
  19. Rear mech: XTR
  20. Cassette: XTR
  21. Seatpost: Thomson
  22. QR: Salsa, blue
  23. Saddle: WTB

What are my plans with this bike? I commute 10km to work often by recumbent and will use this Litespeed to replace it on some days and abviously, go riding trails when possible. It won't be very often as I have two young children and a house that needs attention so I have to devide my time between them.

Pics of my previous and other bikes will be added when I find them or when I find the time to take pictures.

Cheers!

PS: I tried to condense all my bikes in one topic as I don't want to create a lot of topics, one for each bike. Hope thats ok, if not please let me know.

Re:

Hi Joshua,

Great litespeed, like to see the other ones as well. Looks like we live nearby, good to see you joined retrobike!

Cheers,

Bart

Howdy Bart,

I'm adding pics here and there, just hang on. Great coincidence you are from Zwolle too.

cheers!

Question for the forum experts: the BB has play and needs to be replaced but after consulting the WWW I learn it is very hard to replace this part. Anyone has a clue which part supercedes it? It is this 116mm Octalink BB-M952. Thanks!

Attachments

• BB-M952_116mm.jpg
    BB-M952_116mm.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 7
  • BB-shell Litespeed.jpg
    BB-shell Litespeed.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 7
Nice selection of bikes! I always find this useful for confirming info: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html

If you scroll down it confirms you need a V1 spline (shorter splines) and you know it is 68x116mm. After that you will have to search and search! There are not so many available to buy nowadays as I found out recently.

I was recently asking for similar HERE, and was pointed in the direction of the road version of the same bottom bracket (BB-550). Give or take a couple of millimeters and some chainline finesse it could be an option for you.

@TreaderSteve pointed me in the correct direction, I will order a 118mm BB and just move the FD out a bit. I can't go with a narrower BB as the FC is already very close to the BB. This has to do with the closing ring on the inside of the FC.
@pw_pw_la Will do, thanks.

Next week: Ardennes for me! Unfortunately I aslo have to work but I'll reduce it to a couple of hours a day and leave some time to go MTB'ing.

Really enjoyed this walk through time
There’s a couple of Basso on brick lane bikes

I bought my Venturi Genius frame
from them

Back