Barn Find Trek 950, Trek 830, Offroad MT-10+2

Once A Hero

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
My friendly LBS that knows I’m into retro bikes often gives me the nod on old bikes they have come in to the shop that are beyond economical repair and therefore need a new home, or that they haven’t got time to find a new home for if repairs aren’t needed.

Well I got a call today about a chap who has 3 bikes he needs to sell, but has become aware that old bikes are ‘rising in value due to high demand and low availability’.

I was told it was a Trek 950, a Trek 830, and a “GT 1+2 or something”, and as luck would have it I was in the area so spoke to the owner and arranged to see them.

First up, 22” 1990 Trek 950 in the optional blue colourway. Fantastic condition apart from perished tyres.
2537E127-9C9B-44A4-8E77-3CF710F192D4.jpeg
5E7E50CC-03EC-4297-935A-3CBB5AB3350D.jpeg

Second up, 14.5” 1991 Trek 830, again great condition and still nice and vibrant (mostly) - my camera doesn’t do the flouro justice, the closeup is better;
22997607-C8FF-4197-B1E9-A8A033CE7CD5.jpeg
3A0BD8D3-90CC-4CDB-ADEA-BF930C373D96.jpeg

And finally, a 1990/1 Offroad MT-10+2, child size with 26” wheels, also is great condition.
50D3765B-65B8-4EA9-957A-078B0664FC46.jpeg
CE0B1A7D-2AE9-4A9C-BC07-E457BD3458DF.jpeg

I’ve put the seller right about price expectations for what he’s got, but any further guidance on cost would be much appreciated, and if any of the above are of interested, I’m sure I can facilitate their purchase/collection.

Last edited:
Given that the seller is an elderly gentleman with ill health, with no way or inclination of selling these through traditional selling sites, I’m of the opinion that the right thing to do is for me to purchase these from him as a job lot in order to save him the trouble of any form of marketing, dealing with more members of the public etc.
He is open to me doing that, even if I am to sell them on - I have no interest in keeping them.

Do we think an offering of £300 is fair for them all?

These are nice examples in great condition, for the age, but they are not dripping in mint xt or xtr, or boutique parts. So an average £100 each might be right.
For example, I wouldnt have thought that any would sell for £200 alone in current condition and needing a good service.
The Offroad is a cute little thing but with some basement level parts, so I’m struggling to see £100 there.
I don’t think you should feel guilty at £300

Thankyou @MatBH5
When I appraised them I advised sale prices of c.£150 for the 950, c.£100 for the 830, and c.£50-£75 for the Offroad, so in broad terms a return of about £300.
A new budget tyre or two, a quick service and a clean will see them all marketable.

Oh and a set of bolt cutters will be needed to remove the D-Lock from the 950 as the key was/is missing….

OMG. First time I’ve seen an Mt.10+2 in about 25 years. I’ve been looking for a long time. My parents bought 2 from Rayments in Brighton in about 88 or 89. One for me and one for my sis. Big back story too as I picked it over the offroad master that was so much better spec in hindsight but wasn’t fluoro yellow. That’s my memory of the year anyways. It’s the bike that got me into mtb. Seriously awesome !!!

Where’s the bike based? I’m seriously interested - see PM.

Last edited:
Hi, i do agree to markoc,
the Trek bikes are nice, but the most interesting one seem to me also clearly the Offroad.

A perfect bike for getting your kids on a classic MTB :)

Haven't fount the specific model 10 + 2, it's also not in the 1990 catalog (nor in 1989 or 1991)

Just the regular MT 10

Maybe it's the 12" sized Master, later or earlier called MT 10 + 2?

The Mt10+2 would make sense as it has a triple up front instead of the single chainring on the Mt10 - so hence the "+2" element.

I don't remember it being in any catalogues - which is weird, and borne out by the 1990 one. It does look like a downgraded Master - no Flexstem, or fancy front triple. Interestingly on the one available, the fork sticker is upside down, which makes very little sense!

Really hoping I can end up being the custodian, as it would never get sold on (but might* get some sympathetic period upgrades as I remember that even as a scrawny 10 year old the plastic brake levers flexed alarmingly quicker than the brakes did any braking lol!)

*you can absolutely bet your house on the fact it would, with the original bits boxed and kept safe.

I’ve agreed a deal with the seller, a little more than the £300 suggested above, but a fair deal I think.
There will be a little bit to do on each to get them road worthy, but hopefully not too much expense.
Collecting at the weekend.
It’ll be good to find them homes.

Back