Trek 950 1996

Thanks, I wanted to keep the grey tyres as I felt it would quite different with normal tyres on it. The tread matches the original fronts very closely but could get one to match the rear so had to go with a matching pair.

Re:

I thought I'd update my thread with some pictures of my upgrades.

I haven't done anything regarding my original plan for suspension forks, I'm still considering making the change but not 100% convinced at the moment.

I've fitted the T780 Deore XT V brakes and M739 Deore XT integrated shifters and brake levers. These are a massive improvement over the original brakes, also the shifters are much more postive than the old Deore LX M567 units. I had to replace the front derailer not just for aesthetics (it had picked up a bit of corrosion) but the STX RC one had quite a lot of slop in the pivot points. I managed to get a NOS M739 Deore XT unit which is a much better shift. All cables were replaced during fitting this lot.

Bike%205.jpg

Bike%206.jpg

Unfortunately as the original cantilever setup routed the rear cable through a small pipe round the seat tube I had to get a little creative with the rear cable housing mount for the V brake. This is as neater solution as I could come up with. I have an original Trek corner bag and once this is in place the clamp is not really noticeable.
Bike%207.jpg

I've also added some Shimano PD-M520 MTB SPD Pedals.

Since putting some miles on it I have needed to replace the bottom braket, chain and rear cassette. The bottom braket was a Shimano unit where as the Chain and Cassette were SRAM units. I also changed the front chain rings for a NOS Deore LX M569 Chainset.

The only thing I need to do now is change the headset as its binding a little. I've disassembled it and the bottom bearing race has had its day. Other than that its riding great. Since May I've put approx 920 miles on it.

Back