Are the Unicorns extinct?

doctor-bond

Feature Bike
Retro enthusiasms come and go, but a Swallow Griffon and a 1987 Tesch-built Team Stumpjumper have been on my it-will-be-mine-oh-yes list for many years. Not a whisper of either though.

It's dawning on me that there is a very good chance that these two bikes are in fact extinct.

So are there any other bikes that you know to have existed but that haven't been seen or heard of for a worryingly long time?

Swallow Griffon:

swallow3_354.jpg

'87 Team Stumpy:

stumpyteam_858.jpg

funny you shoould mention this - been looking for one myself too. Bearing in mind that I did find a GOD Ilkeston frame at the tip, it might still happen...

swallow3_354.jpg

Unicorns do exist. Thought I would never find a Parkpre Sledge Hammer. Didn't even bother looking knowing that there was only one known example this side of the Atlantic. Thanks to a good friend one turned up with my name on it. Don't give up.

been looking out for a Westpine rear hub for about 15 years, but despite being assured that some were produced I've only recently seen a picture of one, let alone one for sale.

doctor-bond":3gggabn4 said:
Chute55uk":3gggabn4 said:
yep i posted pretty much the same thread about the mythical '88 fisher procaliber

I love the 1988 Fisher range: largely because I spent hours poring over that year's catalogue. But I'm pretty sure examples of the '88 Procaliber still exist, even if they're not readily available.

It's the extinct bikes that I'm worrying about.

IMG_4968.jpg

http://www.absolutebikes.com/museum/museumBike.php?idNum=31

ProCaliber.jpg
ha! you try finding one then.... i will give you a real unicorn if you do

legrandefromage":10whme6v said:
...Bearing in mind that I did find a GOD Ilkeston frame at the tip, it might still happen...

I think those things ONLY happen to you :LOL:
I saw one, once; A track frame in TI team colors; signed on the seat tube, above the BB (IIRC).

It was a thing of awesomeness...but about 5 sizes too big for me... :cry:

Keep looking!

Unless of course they no longer exist and they can't be found, I find that often even the ones that don't exist are out there though.

Back