Are the Unicorns extinct?

I'd guess that this is extinct, although I don't know if it ever really existed in rideable form!

1987_Bushido02.jpg

For me it's the Merlin Metalworks built 1990 Kona Titanium - only ever seen it in the brochure.

In reality it's a waiting game - 2 of the 3 Nukeproof Carbon Titanium frames are now in the UK & last month Scant was selling 1 of the 5 Merlin built Tomac Raleighs :cool:

I have no such problems as i'm an ignorant pleb who only desires mid range mass produced bikes, working mens bikes, bikes of the people type bikes.

I like to dress in ladies clothes as I ride them

thankfully anthing goes on RB

Interesting point. You may well be right that some 'high end' stuff is extinct, that is all examples are broken or no more.

However I would expect that some of these bikes will be owned by people outside the retro community (i.e. this site and one or two others). Probably a few Stumpjumpers thrown in the back of garages dusty and unloved....

Slightly going off topic, but I do wonder how some guys (you know who you are!) get to be in the right place at the right time, with these time machine never used examples of bikes we used to read, and re-read and read once more in copies of MBA....

treacle":pv266eg2 said:
Slightly going off topic, but I do wonder how some guys (you know who you are!) get to be in the right place at the right time, with these time machine never used examples of bikes we used to read, and re-read and read once more in copies of MBA....

You have to be thinking about it just about every day, searching constantly and always on the lookout at bike swaps, yard sales, auctions, anywhere.

This is my 'Unicorn', a fillet brazed Santana Moda-rare, but not nonexistent, and I found it on ebay, but because of a post in the Marketplace watch here at RB!

IMG_0862.jpg

Good work!

Right place, right time, but also there MUST be an underground network (secret handshakes etc) where only the rarest items change hands....

treacle":3raecjo7 said:
Good work!

Right place, right time, but also there MUST be an underground network (secret handshakes etc) where only the rarest items change hands....

LOL, I'm sure there are a few people who keep their wheeling and dealing under wraps. I'm late to the vintage MTB party-didn't even ride one in the 80's or 90's, so what I covet is probably a lot different from those who were lusting after the bikes in magazines and such.

Right time - right place. Also having a network of fellow RB's that know you are after / interested in a particular brand or bike. Had a conversation with Just Kev at the Thetford meet along the same lines. If you get your message out to enough people eventualy the bikes find you.

Back