Applying decals...

Sorry about getting the hump, bad day yesterday..
Anyway, video for what it’s worth is done;

I’ve been told by teenage tech support to be patient
I used to sticker vans decades ago, this was a useful reminder, I used a lightly soaped spray bottle.
I will practice with some redundant stickers on some water pipe, as ive over £100 of decals to apply to three frames I am painting.
All a return to lost skills for me, painting going well mostly.. appreciate this video, we used to use a squegee on van sides, but clearly no good on frames, so the blue towel approach looks good.
I last painted a a whole frame a decade ago and the decals went on dry and I was lucky...! Gald ive seen this with a little practice first i feel happier now. cheers.

I’ve got a little history applying decals on cars but nothing that makes me an expert. All those were always done wet.

I apply loads of decals to frames and always do it dry. Its far easier and comes out perfect but the key is to have it in position 1st time , and use a plastic thingy to smooth them down from one edge.

Small decals don’t need to slide and move like big ones. Even GT downtube decals I do dry.

I actually enjoy the process as that is the last touch to a frame usually.

TBH… the only real advantage to using the wet method is when you have large areas of clear such as with my Titanius in the initial post because the issue wasn’t do much the positioning more of making sure the clear areas had nothing underneath.
As with most things in life there’s always other ways of doing things.

Back