ANY TIPS TO STOP BUYING MORE FRAMES OR BIKES.

Cheshire1980

Orange 🍊 Fan
Like any addiction it’s difficult to stop the cycle, excuse the pun. But in all seriousness, every time I manage to have a significant cull, the numbers start creeping back up again :facepalm:
I should have satisfaction in what I already have, well in theory. However, I find myself regularly looking at future frames/ bikes and not completing my current projects....
I wish I was able to focus on one project at a time, not 4 or 5, and never finishing them :facepalm:
Any thoughts?

I’m at the start of my Retro addiction, my Kilauea is nearly finished but it’ll be a bit of a triggers broom as bits get swapped and brought. My problem is I’m already after something else. I’ve never owned an Orange, despite coveting and then selling them in the bike shop where I got my first full time job (Batchelors of Warminster). I have no space for more bikes, technically not enough money for more bikes and I don’t really mountain bike enough to warrant more as I ride road more. But my next bike will probably be an Orange. I’ll quit after one last hit.....

Re:

My only advice, is to stop fighting it.

If it wasnt in your bones, it is now, its part of your life, and good for the Soul.

Enjoy it.

I've achieved it in another hobby & don't even look for stuff now. It's a good feeling. All the enjoyment comes from what I already have & I'm in the process of deciding what (else) to sell from a significant collection. I hope to get there with my Orange collection too. I don't have space for more than two more. Once the hunt is done the pleasure will be from the riding (if I ever getting this f'ing ankle replaced), fettling & the odd 'upgrade'. In a decade or two's time I will sell most of them on as bikes or parts as I can't take them with me.

Re:

Nope. Having the same problem. :facepalm:

Also becoming anxious every time the doorbell rings at the moment. If that’s another delivery, what is she going to say? Is she going to challenge me? When will her patience wear thin? When will I hear ‘why don’t you spend that money on the kids / on me / on the house / save for....?’

‘Is that more bike parts?’
‘Yes love, sorry.’

The logic behind the spending is faultless, always well reasoned and completely justifiable, but then something else comes along. :roll:

Like the crankset I know someone on here has for sale and I really want for a build that I can’t complete at the moment because parts of the bike are at my mum’s house. There are other parts for that same bike that are paid for but as yet undelivered, and yet I see more and more :|

I think I need help

Re:

If everyone on this site was to take a personality test, a fair degree would show signs of compulsiveness, or neurotic perfectionism, or both. There is no psychometric test for overwhelming preoccupation with nostalgia, but that's in the mix too I think.

I try to use 'one in, one out'. Not easy to restrict though. No equivalent of a nicotine patch. Oh yes there is....riding. JGOTAR. Just Get Out There And Ride.

But in the last six months I have built from scratch two jump bikes (one for the Grom and one for me), one Ragley for the Grom, one DH bike for the Grom, and a new Enduro bike for me is in the offing (Transition frame sitting in its box, rattling to get out) - and about five wheelsets, many fork overhauls, and ….ooops ...didn't mean to press the button or have the conversation with Dan S… a Ti Switch9er frame.

And then there's lying to wifey when the packages start arriving.

wifey: "theres a massive box just arrived from poland whats in that" ?

emjay: "erm..just a set of canti brakes".

:roll:

I think riding is probably a good tonic though.

And actually, buying an old car in need of loads of TLC recently has slowed me down on the bike purchases. I’m now buying loads of service parts and spares for that instead.

Not exactly an improvement.

Plus I’m rubbish at fixing old cars so it’s a more frustrating hobby.

Stick to bikes.

Back