Answer hyperlite vs easton hyperlite/ea70

vincenth

Retro Guru
I missed out on the mtb hype in the 90's, I first had to learn how to pedal as I was born in 1988.
Nevertheless the retro virus caught me years ago and I am learning (mostly trivial stuff ;) ) everyday.
Lately I have been wondering about the answer hyperlite bars. They are designed by easton and thanks to the taperwall lightweight with the right amount of flex and strength.
Easton has been making their own bars, the ea70, but I find it hard to find any info on these and to me it seems that these have similar properties to the answer hyperlite.
Also while searching for answer/easton bars I found that easton also produced bars for trek(matrix hyperlite) and cannondale (coda hyperlite). Is there any difference between these or they essentially the same product?
I find it hard to find a answer hyperlite in decent condition/length for a good price and woud not mind to get a cheaper alternative with the same/similar properties.

Attachments

• img_4821_1200x800__48889.jpg
    img_4821_1200x800__48889.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20240311_090139_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240311_090139_Samsung Internet.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20240311_085438_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240311_085438_Samsung Internet.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 7
Easton EA70 / Answer Hyperlite / Ritchey Prolite/WCS from the era as basically the same bar. The only thing they could do was alter the length (for 'weight reduction' and possibly minor thickness changes. Neither is better then the other in reality. It's a tube of EA70.

1710173571333.png

ANSWER HYPERLITE HANDLEBAR​

The Answer HyperLite weighs only 143.5 grams yet Answer, with Easton (Jas. D. Easton, Inc. of Van Nuys, Calif) as the actual maker, has done so without too seriously compromising the handlebar strength for its weight savings. These bars use the Easton EA70 aluminum tubing which is said by Easton to be twice as strong as the conventional 6061- T6 or 6063-T6 used by most other makers. EA70 is said to be a complex alloy of aluminum, and other metals that yields superior fracture toughness and fatigue resistance. We have been told that EA70 is a variation of 7050 alloy. The common formulation of 7050 includes 2.3% copper, 2.2% magnesium and 6.2 zinc and the balance aluminum. In making "EA70" Easton has added .12% zirconium to the standard 7050 composition. The addition of the .12% zirconium is well known in aluminum manufacture and is used regularly in 7050 alloy. Notice in our Metals section that T74 tempered (call it T7X, then E7X, then possibly EA70) 7050 alloy has roughly twice the strength characteristics of 6061-T6 or 6063-T6 in terms of Ultimate tensile and Yield strength. These handlebars do not have the wall thickness tapered in the bulge area of the bar. The metal is made thicker at the bulge and wall thickness tapers to become thinner internally, as it moves to the ends of the bar. This is in contrast to convention which makes the wall thickness thinner in the area of the bulge as it is created. We actually cut a Hyperlite in half lengthwise and sanded the cut to make some measurements. The knurled area of the bulge has a 2.02mm wall thickness. At the point of the rearward bend 3 1/2" from the center on each side it has tapered to just 1.8mm wall thickness. Over the remaining 8" or 203mm, on each side, the wall thickness tapers to just 8/10ths millimeter. (The cut bar is on display in our retail store) These bars are made in a 3 degree or 5 degree bend, with a brushed surface treated that fine patterned lines around (circumferencially) the tubing. The bar diameter is 7/8" (22.2mm) at the ends, where the tubing is .7mm thick, and 1" (25.4mm) at the knurled bulge in the center. Answer includes a pair of Black plastic, press-in handlebar reinforcing plugs. The wall thickness may be too thin for use cinch type bar extensions, these 1" long plugs internally support the tapered wall against being crushed. The HyperLite is an ATB flat bar available anodized in Black, Blue or Silver (clear). Ultra-light and Ultra-strong, we found the 23" inch long Hyperlite to weigh 143.5 grams, less than Answers 148 gram specification weight. The pair of re-inforcement plugs, if used, will add 8 1/2 grams. Answer has an unconditional 2 year warranty on this handlebar.

1710173624503.png

RITCHEY PROLITE HANDLEBAR​

Tom Ritchey and Easton Aluminum working together have developed the Ritchey Prolite bar. It is made by Easton of their EA70 aluminum alloy, with a tapered wall to reduce weight, and swaged in the middle, to form the bulge. The EA70 series alloy's composition and properties are discussed in the Answer Hyperlite review. Weighing only 146 grams, this uses some of the same processes as the Answer HyperLite, but is slightly heavier because it has a slightly thicker tubing wall. We cut a Prolite in half lengthwise to measure the wall thickness at various points. We found the forward wall of the 2" wide bulge area had a 1.79mm wall thickness, the rearward wall was 1.76mm. At the bend 3 1/2" from bar center, the front wall thickness measured 1.57mm, while the rear wall was 1.64mm Over the remaining 7 3/8" of the bar on each side, the front wall thickness tapered to 1.09mm, the rear wall had tapered to 1.07mm. (The cut bar is on display in our retail store.) The bar diameter is 7/8" (22.2mm) at the ends, where the tubing is .9mm thick, and 1" (25.4mm) at the un-knurled bulge in the center. This bar is 560mm (22 1/16") long, with a brushed surface treatment making fine patterned lines the length (longitudinally) of the tubing. This ATB flat bar is made in a 4 degree bend, and anodized in Blue, Black, Red, or Silver. Made in USA.

1710173648806.png

RITCHEY PROLITE WCS HANDLEBAR​

The Ritchey/Easton project also yields the ProLite WCS bar, made of EA70 butted aluminum alloy, (the EA70 alloy is discussed in the Answer Hyperlite review), which seems to be the lightest aluminum only bar yet made. The ProLite WCS is understood by many to be the same handlebar as the Answer HyperLite with a different degree of bend, and a different surface treatment. The ProLite WCS surface has a brushed finish that leaves fine patterned lines running the length (longitudinally) of the tubing. The Ritchey WCS bar at just 123 grams weighs less than the HyperLite, though it is likely drawn from the same bar blank. This weight savings is achieved through a slight of hand. The Answer bar is 23" (584mm) long, while the Ritchey bar is just 22 1/8" (560mm). With a slight amount of the tubing length missing from each end, the weight is marginally less. We cut a Prolite WCS in half lengthwise to make some wall thickness measurements. The forward wall of the bulge area is 1.66mm thick, the rear wall of the bulge is 1.59mm thick. At the bend, the forward wall thickness has reduced to 1.26mm, while the rear wall is 1.31mm thick. Over the remaining 7 1/4" (185mm) the wall thickness reduces to .86mm in both the front and rear walls. (The cut bar is on display in our retail store.) The bar diameter is 7/8" (22.2mm) at the ends, where the tubing is .8mm thick. and 1" (25.4mm) at the un-knurled bulge in the center. This ATB flat bar is made in a 4 degree or 6 degree bend, and anodized to a pale Gold (Platinum) color. Made in USA.

Bikepro is still working for me?

Maybe check your browser config, some only allow visiting websites beginning with https://

I also thought the (solely) Easton branded bars were much later than the Hyperlite ones. Especially the one in the first post surely is early 2000s.

Anyway, it´s worth checking the insides of the bars for longitudinal cracking.

Maybe check your browser config, some only allow visiting websites beginning with https://

I also thought the (solely) Easton branded bars were much later than the Hyperlite ones. Especially the one in the first post surely is early 2000s.

it's up and down for me. the none secure site drops it off the search engines too.

I checked your link and the site works fine, via Google I could not acces it.

Back