Another Kelly KAS Vitus Build - Carbone

I've just noticed that yours has a braze on front mec I personally didn't know they did them as the two 9 tube Vitus carbon farms & the three tube Vitus carbon frame that I have all have the clamp on front gear. just goes to show that you learn something new every day. Both the 9 tube frames have the yellow weave in the carbon but the 3 tube one is a sort of dark red colour. All 3 frames use the 23mm Roubis seat post, which can be a bit of a bugger (& expensive) to get hold of. I did manage after a bit of time & research to get my greasy little mitts on 3 of them.
I do have two different Giant 980 carbon frames one with brazen front mec & the other with a clamp on front mec & they both have completely different decals on them. I've still not found out which one of them is the older.

stringfellow1946":ng895hlv said:
Great Job Doubledee, that looks real good man. I did get my 9 tube carbon vitus lacquered as it protects everything much better. I don't know where or who wants to charge £80 as mine cost me £20 at the local car body shop & that was 2 part lacquer. Most of the buggers have it laying around as they use it on lots of car jobs these days. So if they have a car job to do its only another 5 minutes to do your frame plus they have already charged some one else for the materials. So £20-£25 quid for 5 mins work is a pretty good hourly rate.
I'm just about to start another 9 tube carbon Vitus & plan to do it the same as yours Decal wise the frame & forks with the decals fitted are already to go to the body shop to be lacquered this week. Just stuck for a 500/502 front hub & a clamp on front gear (have a braze on one) the rest of the groupset I have.

Keep up the great work i'm well impressed.

Cheers and thanks for the tips really helped with the confidence. Have a look at this Mavic part, I've gone the other way and bought a braze on adapter from the same guy to convert my band on front mech. I'd do a swap but Im sharing the parts between the blue 979 and this one. I'll have a chat with the guy at Atlantic Boulevard as he said £80 to lacquer with multiple coats including masking the lugs as I only wanted the carbon lacquering. Either way Im really looking forward to riding this one, I raced an Alan Carbon 9 from Graham Weigh in the mid 90's. The Blue Vitus 979 built with GP4's on campag tipos tipped the scales at 19lbs in 54cm size so this I would expect be lighter, that was seriously light for that era!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOS-vintage-M ... 2331f772b2

Cheers Darren

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks for the e-bay link Darren, I had all the frame, Forks, Lugs & decals Lacquered over to protect them. On all the original frames that i've got hold of most of the decals were missing (flaked off) or damaged. So i personally decided I didn't want that to happen again & lacquered the whole lot. Almost all other high end bikes have their decals under lacquer.

stringfellow1946":6okm9if5 said:
Thanks for the e-bay link Darren, I had all the frame, Forks, Lugs & decals Lacquered over to protect them. On all the original frames that i've got hold of most of the decals were missing (flaked off) or damaged. So i personally decided I didn't want that to happen again & lacquered the whole lot. Almost all other high end bikes have their decals under lacquer.

I think I will get it lacquered but only the carbon bits. Just read your comment about the front mech mines a Vitus FCK the successor to the carbon kevlar 9 virtually no info out there apart from the image of the de gribaldy bike earlier in this thread and a couple of other bike pictures bit they ditched the yellow kevlar bit and added a braze on front and changed the internal routing of the rear brake via the lugs. They must have moved on very quickly to the 992 I think

Is yours this one Darren?

Attachments

• PIC_0008.jpg
    PIC_0008.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,580
  • PIC_0007-1.jpg
    PIC_0007-1.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 1,580
  • PIC_0004-2.jpg
    PIC_0004-2.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 1,580
I remember Pete Dunn at Cottingham Cycle Centre near Hull telling me that he had seat pins for the carbon frames. He had one for sale virtually NOS that I coveted but managed to resist. It was a couple of years ago but might be worth a call. I don't think he's there every day but they'll tell you when he is.

Old Ned":ocnr5g60 said:
I remember Pete Dunn at Cottingham Cycle Centre near Hull telling me that he had seat pins for the carbon frames. He had one for sale virtually NOS that I coveted but managed to resist. It was a couple of years ago but might be worth a call. I don't think he's there every day but they'll tell you when he is.

And he did have one! well its on its way. Its not the Vitus Rubis one but a sliver micro adjust, Im really not too picky as it beats using the steel chrome one I have. Many thanks for the tip off really appreciated :D

Doubledee":212hwbk2 said:
Old Ned":212hwbk2 said:

And he did have one! well its on its way. Its not the Vitus Rubis one but a sliver micro adjust, Im really not too picky as it beats using the steel chrome one I have. Many thanks for the tip off really appreciated :D

Great news! Glad I could help. It was a bit of a long short - but it worked.

How's the jersey signing going?

Back