Another Carlton build beckons...

Re:

I finally was able to get this out for a test ride today. Felt smooth, light and responsive. A real joy to ride. Just for the record, this is a 22" Corsa built summer 1975, it has 5-speed Huret Svelto gears with a 24-tooth rear block. Saddle is a Wrights W3N, brakes Wienmann 999s, alloy RM19 rims. GB bars and alloy hoods, stem will be replaced with a GB component soon. Sakae alloy seat post (a departure form the usual steel type). Raleigh steel, cottered 3-pin detachable chainset. The frame is finished in polychromatic aqua green, Crepsera lugs lined out with gold and added black contrasting panels.

PA190203_zps5e8f778a.jpg

PA190201_zps6bd79476.jpg

PA190193_zps27639a10.jpg

Pictures were taken in Plymouth's Devonport Park - the war memorial and band stand...

Fantastic pictures and great to see the story unfold.

I have just started to rebuild my Carlton. IT has been in garages since circa 1987! Also approxiamtely a 1975 - though exact year I am not sure. I got it second hand around 1976. It had the same paintwork as yours. Trouble is back in about 1983 I repainted it by hand to be mainly a dark royal blue with red trimmings.

I am a total amateur! I am putting it back together first and will then see about a proper rebuild.

So, question 1 is, does anyone know of a bike resprayer in Germany (Frankfurt area) as I am now living over here? Any links? Will ask at LBS but any references very welcome.

I assume also your seatpost is pretty thin - 25.2? I don't have my original so I bought a 25.4 on a "guess" and it is too big. Oh well, at least it did not go in and get jammed!

Thanks!

gdcfc1":2q2rqk5i said:
Fantastic pictures and great to see the story unfold.

I have just started to rebuild my Carlton. IT has been in garages since circa 1987! Also approxiamtely a 1975 - though exact year I am not sure. I got it second hand around 1976. It had the same paintwork as yours. Trouble is back in about 1983 I repainted it by hand to be mainly a dark royal blue with red trimmings.

I am a total amateur! I am putting it back together first and will then see about a proper rebuild.

So, question 1 is, does anyone know of a bike resprayer in Germany (Frankfurt area) as I am now living over here? Any links? Will ask at LBS but any references very welcome.

I assume also your seatpost is pretty think - 25.2? I don't have my original so I bought a 25.4 on a "guess" and it is too big. Oh well, at least it did not go in and get jammed!

Thanks!

Look forward to seeing some images of your build

Re:

So .... Been a while but LBS tells me it is done. I am out of town so have to wait another week. Took me a long time to move from start to defeat to LBS. So another week won't hurt me.

As I mentioned, back in 80s I did a repaint job on it. So it shows no branding. Would be nice to relabel as Carlton..... Anyone any ideas as to if I can get sticker or stencil in Carlton and Corsa fonts?

Yes, decals exactly as you have on that beauty. Mine looked like that (except with full length mud guards) before I took it on my youthful self to repaint it. Can't see taking it back for full repaint as before but adding the decals seems a good plan.

I did find bicycledecals.net after I asked on this thread. Any experience of them?

Back