Another Carlton build beckons...

Re:

Well this build is nearly done, just some toe clips to fit to this 40 year old fella. The overall build cost has been around £130. Old parts are becoming more and more expensive. Biggest outlay was on a proper period saddle which came in at £38. The rest was a mixture of new and s/h parts. This will make a nice, simple, dry weather mount. Ive kept as close to the mid 70s Corsa spec as possible bar a few updates which include an alloy seat post and alloy wheels. Just about everything else is bang on. I'll eventually change the brake hoods to the Carlton black rubber covered types but the hoodless ones are OK for now. The stem will probably be changed for a GB one at some point. The whole machine was made up from a number of parts hanging around in my workshop which included; frame, rear wheel, brakes, handle bars, chain wheel/cranks and gears. The overall 70s look is very much completed by some shorty mudguards which I had from another Carlton build years ago.

PA071206_zpsc5d00147.jpg

PA071196_zpsab2f8714.jpg

PA071193_zpsa56f6d5f.jpg

PA071192_zpscb815599.jpg

PA071187_zpsada4d0ef.jpg

PA071185_zps3d71bfd8.jpg

PA071180_zps0fd5e205.jpg

PA071194_zps8bef44b6.jpg

PA071214_zps3e59682e.jpg

Re:

Looks great - does it need the dinky mudguards for completeness sake? Long polished guards would look the part and be functional into the bargain

Re: Re:

gavr":i7lawtu0 said:
Looks great - does it need the dinky mudguards for completeness sake? Long polished guards would look the part and be functional into the bargain

Nah. As I said I wanted the genuine 1970s 'racer' look! :D

Yep..........it has to have the useless shorty mudguards to look the part :)

As a small aside they came from the factory with a thin blue plastic covering which gave them a nice sort of metallic blue colour...........this was meant to be removed during the PDI but since they were sold via catalogue and other outlets there sere thousands of them on the street with the plastic wrap still in place.

Used to bug the hell out of me 40 years ago LOL

Shaun

Lovely job, nice curve on those forks.

My first "proper" bike was a Raleigh Nimrod (I think it was a Nimrod anyway) and it had one of those Huret Svelto mechs. It always seemed to shift well and I certainly didn't notice much difference when I "stepped up" to a Campag Gran sport rear mech on the next bike. The Svelto got bent by a twig once and I got it "repaired" by a local garage who just bent it back in to place for me!

Mark.

daccordimark":11jcig2d said:
Lovely job, nice curve on those forks.

My first "proper" bike was a Raleigh Nimrod (I think it was a Nimrod anyway) and it had one of those Huret Svelto mechs. It always seemed to shift well and I certainly didn't notice much difference when I "stepped up" to a Campag Gran sport rear mech on the next bike. The Svelto got bent by a twig once and I got it "repaired" by a local garage who just bent it back in to place for me!

Mark.

I have always found these old mechs o be very reliable. Not the lightest, but simple and quite robust.

Re:

Completed the build with the addition of some new toe clips and straps. This 1975 model will be 40 years old next year, and isn't looking too shabby.

PA141450_zps6918cfb7.jpg

PA141452_zps2d363600.jpg

PA141455_zps95db02e6.jpg

PA141456_zps6d97fb44.jpg

PA141457_zpsc33ac87c.jpg

PA141458_zpsc7428f12.jpg

Yes I know the shorty mudguards are pretty useless, but they simply cry out 1970s when I see them fitted, just as I remember them as a 10 year old. Brilliant stuff.

Back