And so it begins...again - the Fire Mountain weight Loss project

I reckon its ebike territory.... 60kg

Needs some carbon
you're probably not far off mate, i cant pick it up as it's too bulky so we will never know! i also can't afford carbon! have you not seen how cheap i am with what i buy? :LOL:
Sram cassettes are the cheapest/lightest option
i appreciate someone coming back to me on the drivetrain question! are the shimano compatible? I can't afford new front ring, chain, wheels, mech, shifter AND cassette all at once!
Bit off topic mate 🙄
this made me chuckle....if there is any more bench talk i might have to change the name of the thread :LOL:

So the FM is at 11.8kg, or 26lbs.

Pretty happy with that all things considered. The new frame has that down to about 11kg and I still have wheels and drivetrain to mess with.

Started to flat back the new frame today but it is one of many projects this summer! IMG20210529185045.jpg

Last edited:
Entertaining thread Oli! Those 97 Fire Mountains look so good in the factory colours. Maybe do the new frame in the same blue with a retro theme?

Long time since posting! Been wrestling with a few personal things so not much progress.

I've finally got the FM fully functional so I'm using it on rides with the kids.

And I've fully removed all the decals and I think all the clear coat from the Kula. Gonna grab some paint stripper to get rid of the rest and do a bare metal respray. I found a guy on YouTube called ETOE; German chap that does some real high quality custom frame stuff, and he's done a few tutorials using graffiti paint, so I'm gonna give that a go.
IMG-20210725-WA0013.jpeg

I've also picked up some Manitou SX Ti 100mm forks in need of a service and refurb. I've always wanted a set and although not period correct for the frame I'm really pleased with them ;)

I have a colour scheme in mind too...not blue @dyson, sorry 😜

Reactions: enc
So I've got my Manitou forks through the post and they seem very stiff, although I haven't fitted them to anything.

Anyone know what year they are and where I can find a service manual?

Ta

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back