And so it begins...again - the Fire Mountain weight Loss project

Or this version which are cheaper and lighter, come in 415mm or 460mm (for the 29" version)

EDIT: Toseek carbon forks on ebay, straight steerer take a tyre upto 2.1" disk only though. Cheaper than the Ti ones at around £90 and lighter too.
Just looked at the toseek. I like em! I've ran a 445mm on the Kona previously, so should I got for the 445mm version? What will happen if I choose either 425 or 445?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Just looked at the toseek. I like em! I've ran a 445mm on the Kona previously, so should I got for the 445mm version? What will happen if I choose either 425 or 445?

That frame is probably suspension corrected based on 80mm travel forks from that period. So I would chose the 445m if it was me. Going for the 425mm could give the bike twitchy handling as the lower front end steepens the head angle. I think the 475mm would be too long, you'd get a slacker head angle and theoretically more stable handling at speed but you'd also have a really slack seat angle and a high BB. My bet would be on the 445mm fork.

Dont forget - you cant use a traditional star nut on carbon steerers. You need a expander plug instead. And correct torque setting of your stem bolts is important.

That frame is probably suspension corrected based on 80mm travel forks from that period. So I would chose the 445m if it was me. Going for the 425mm could give the bike twitchy handling as the lower front end steepens the head angle. I think the 475mm would be too long, you'd get a slacker head angle and theoretically more stable handling at speed but you'd also have a really slack seat angle and a high BB. My bet would be on the 445mm fork.

Dont forget - you cant use a traditional star nut on carbon steerers. You need a expander plug instead. And correct torque setting of your stem bolts is important.
Cheers buddy. I though the bike came with 63mm travel so a 425 would be more 'correct' but having ridden it with longer forks ever since I've owned it I think you might be right.

I've just sold some Reba with a carbon steerer with the top nut expander included, so may have to dig out another one from somewhere!

Actually...most of my riding will be loose ground like country parks and a bit of road use. I'd like to think I'll pop the odd wheelie or jump a curb. You reckon those toseek will be ok?

So I've just weighed the FM....2.8kg with headset and seat clamp. Not confident in getting it down to the weight I want :( so do I search for lighter frame?

The front end will be so light, the back will feel like a tonne ☹️

So I've just weighed the FM....2.8kg with headset and seat clamp. Not confident in getting it down to the weight I want :( so do I search for lighter frame?

The front end will be so light, the back will feel like a tonne ☹️
My bikes:
19" Kilauea from 1993 was 2200g
19" Explosif from 1993 is 2000g
19” Kula Supreme from 2007 is 1400g (scandium).

I think you’ve gone as far as you can with the FM.

Back