I managed to find a slightly cheaper option along with ordering some grips. Still the most I've paid for a saddle I think and still very slow progress collecting parts:

Saddle%2Band%2Bgrips.JPG

Re:

Looking forward to seeing some more progress with your bike, Will.

Excuse the hijack please - but here's a couple of pics of my Aende - just out of the dipping tank. I'm taking my frame for a very light blast and clear powdercoat on Friday. A big dent in the top tube put paid to any proper restoration on mine, so this one will be filed under 'my bike my rules'. The fillets are gorgeous :mrgreen:

The interjection is very welcome Paddy. It's great to see what my frame looks like under the paint and have pictures of the only other Aende ATB I am aware of on this site.

I love the fillets and so I can completely see the merit in a clear powdercoat :)

Re:

Very interesting looking frame, you got some patience in sorting parts!
I got a 31.8 Sachs front mech with clamp if you are interested?

Thanks Jamis.

The seat tube is 28.6, so I'll probably stick to the Quarz front mech, even if it doesn't match the Aris rear.

Re:

Couple more pics of mine - just back from the powdercoater. (Plug: CJ Ward, Burton-On-Trent - great guys, great work, great price).

This finish is clear powdercoat straight onto freshly blasted frame. Looks cool, no ?

That looks great Paddy! I won't be stripping mine anytime soon, but I do really like the naked look, showing off the fillets.

I bought these with a view to using them on the Aende:

Ritchey%2Blevers.JPG

But now I have them, I think the finish is too polished. Most the other parts are a brushed finish, that works well with the metallic frame. So either I could try to re-finish them myself to give them a brushed look, or put them aside for another project. If I did use them, then really I should use the Logic cantis with them, which would probably mean re-finishing them too.

Alternative suggestions? What is the finish like on X-Lite levers? Maybe I should try them to fit with the X-Lite bars.

I've reached a bit of a stuck point with this. Brakes and levers always seem to be something I struggle to find ones I am happy with. I also still need to sort out shifters.

The original plan for shifters was to use Suntour XCE, which I may still go with if I can find some. I'm a little concerned the build is becoming a bit scattershot in terms of different manufacturers though, so it might depend on my brake solution. Otherwise, I have some Sachs twistshifters around, which would match the mechs so I could give them a go and see whether I get on ok with them.

In terms of brakes, I have been keeping my eye on For Sale and Ebay for months without really seeing anything I like. They need to be silver, or maybe gunmetal, to fit the rest of the build. And although XT brakes might look quite nice I'm not so sure about using Shimano when I haven't used it on the rest of the build. Ideas I have considered:
* STM cantis - I would love these, but they are near impossible to find. I almost have one set in a grey colour, but the arms are very slightly different, so not sure whether I can bring myself to use them, even if I found something to complement them.
* Nice Sachs cantis - would fit in with the mechs, but I'vce struggled to find a complete set at a reasonable price. And matching levers seem even harder to find.
* Nice US cantis - I have thought about Critical/Crystal/Machine Tech/Pauls, as they would fit in alright with the Nukeproof wheels, but I probably can't afford them even if the right ones turn up.
* XC Pro cantis - I have some champagne XC Pro brake levers I would like to use again, so could look for the matching cantis, but I'm not sure the colour would work with the rest of the build being silver (brushed/satin) and grey.
* Ritchey cantis - As mentioned above, I have Ritchey Logic levers, but I wonder if they are too shiny to fit in, so I might have to try to refinish them, which would probably end up looking terrible!
* Modern cantis - would it be wrong to fit modern brakes instead? At least they would be easier to source. Maybe something like Dia-compe 999s.

Also, in my searching I found this lever, which might have been perfect if it was a pair, rather than a single one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291606502572
s-l1600.jpg

And other options or pointers? I really would like to get this finished so I can actually find out what it's like to ride (the same goes for many of my projects).

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I have some really nice CODA branded Dia Compe brakes and levers (987s and SS5s) that are a kind of grey/gunmetal, you can't have them but it might be something to look out for? IIRC the finish on the champagne XC Pro levers was brushed and the canti arms are shiny, I have some at home I can check.

Back