I look forward to seeing what you’re going to do and any help you’ll receive

I am a fool:

Shifter exploded highlighted.jpg

I didn't realise this part would come off the bracket.

This now gives me:

Shifter gap.JPG

So a nylon washer beneath the lever and the cable should be close enough to run smoothly, right?

The chrome shifter fittings were a little rusty, but a soak in citric acid cleared that up:

Shifter rust removed.JPG

The levers had some light surface corrosion. I didn't want to get them really shiny, as most the components I'm using have a more satin finish, so I just removed the worst of the corrosion with wet and dry and then gave them a little polish:

Shifter levers polished.JPG

Probably a little shinier than I intended, but I am sure that will fade a little in time.

Now I just need to find my nylon washers. I've foud steel, fabric and rubber but not nylon yet. This is the problem when you move out a house and have to put things into storage.

Shifter mock-up.JPG

Mocked-up with a fabric washer. Then photo taken at an angle where you can't see the alignment, but it looks just right. I now just need to find a couple of nylon washers the same size.

After polishing the frame and forks I fitted the headset. It appears to now have taken up residence on my kitchen table. I really need to cut back on bikes and parts to make some more space:

RAt9B-gT2b4OS43xCy8PMhJMdyA4Z5mT3lvysyoioe7nqZgK_MgFMu6q8wv0tf_lz0GT=w1680-h1050-no

I have a few Sachs mechs around, these are some (not all) of them:

Ujwh4_NniQaShW9QrQZ48UiWTnujOwF9QKLr5PgaV44IYi-Y1O86EaHslXga9hBeUnYL=w1680-h1050-no

I decided that the Aris mech might suit this and I may well use the New Success for my Scapin, in lieu of not being able to find suitable Italian non-Campagnolo mechs to use. So this meant tracking down a bottom pull New Success front mech (easy) and a top pull Aris front mech (in no way easy). Eventually, I decided a top pull Quartz mech would do the job, so now I just need a band clamp for it:

HkL6K1OED7BHMZLdCBGndBxH60WqHZg4lUEU5CkmVnIRadzJLjpLjFrvEBkaD7Mc4deg=w1680-h1050-no

More progress sometime next year, hopefully including getting the rear wheel built!
I see you’ve a nice collection of Sachs mechs !
Nic was looking high and low for the rear

I see you’ve a nice collection of Sachs mechs !
Nic was looking high and low for the rear
Thanks - I did have some more, but I can't remember if they got sold at jumbles.

The plan for this bike is to match the New Success rear with the Quarz front, as the finishes are quite similar and match the finishes of other parts, like the stronglight headset.

Good idea. I did much the same here

Attachments

• D865EE69-6077-4F22-8D74-C98FA2022EFC.jpeg
    D865EE69-6077-4F22-8D74-C98FA2022EFC.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 13
A possible alternative solution for the wheels ...

Royce rear.JPG

Matching front required, but it would fit with the European build, as well as silver bodies probably fitting in better than the black carbon of the Nukeproofs.

That’s a very interesting idea - I’ve seen a few on sale here and there but very expensive ! Absolutely beautiful

Back