Your stem looks like a 120
Here’s the one I’m expecting - a 130
Looking at the pictures, 120 sounds about right. I'll check it and then if they are in equally good condition we could always swap if 10mm shorter is going to work better on the Nth.

Looking at the pictures, 120 sounds about right. I'll check it and then if they are in equally good condition we could always swap if 10mm shorter is going to work better on the Nth.
Sounds good if you’re happy with the longer length of course!

Hopefully, I'll be one step closer to building this soon ....

Looking at the stem (with a view to exchanging it for a slightly longer one the same) I noticed that the welds are smoothed on it. Searching for other ITM stems of this model, I can't find another with smoothed welds, so some of their newer designs have them. Has anyone else seen welds like this on one of their stems?

ITM stem (3).JPG

If so, why did they produce both smoothed and normally welded versions of the same stem?

I like to imagine this is the original stem the frame was built up with and this stem was deliberately chosen to match the fillet brazing, but I don't think that's something I'll ever be able to find out.

Any input welcomed, as always.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Have I finally got the missing piece to be able to build up the Aende after ..... eight years 😳 ?

Paul shifter mounts.JPG

Well, maybe or maybe not. A big thank you to @iveto1983 for replying to my wanted advert and sending the Paul shifter mounts so quickly.

However, my lack of knowledge of road components may mean I have one more issue to resolve:

Sachs on Paul.JPG

The Sachs-Huret shifters I intended to use don't sit correctly on the square mount and the cable height doesn't match. This is where my lack of knowledge about road components becomes a hinderance. I assume the problem is that the shifters are a band on fitting and to use the mounts I need shifters which are designed to fit onto brazed on frame mounts ... can someone confirm that for me?

In that case, is there any part/washer I could cannibalise from another shift to make this work?

Or do I need to accept I can't use these shifters and begin searching for alternative shifters to match the build? If that's the case, I'll still stick with the Paul mounts and road shifters, because I really want all-silver shifters to match the build (preferably with a more gloss than chrome finish). Suggestions welcomed.

Looking for shifter alternatives, I looked at this:

Campagnolo Victory shifters.jpg

Do I just need some of the square holed stop washers? Or is it going to be more complicated and better to keep looking for new shifters?

Back