* ACTUAL cost of bike build, not what you THOUGHT it cost! *

Re: Re:

Once A Hero":2ayabtwa said:
I do this with every bike :( :facepalm:

Due to indecision throughout the build I often end up buying multiple parts for the same bike, but I only carry the cost of the part used to the total. And of course I either store for later use or selling duplicated parts.

One of my latest builds was purchased as an almost complete bike - bought at £1500. However, after re-building it to the spec I want, and deducting the price for selling any of the original bits off, it's looking like the cost may be nearly double by the time I'm finished! :shock: :oops: Admittedly it'll have some choice parts on it, and part of the cost was putting something right that I felt was the right thing to do for the build.

I'm feeling better already hearing this after this mornings number crunches!

I'm betting that one's a showstopper 'tho!

➡️

FMJ":13dgao8m said:
Was looking for something to build up as a single speed pub bike.

Not seeing your pics. Anyone else? Looks like a google account permission thing.

I'm glad I'm not the only one using spreadsheets. Might have to add weight as well! With 17 bikes & a shite memory it certainly helps me keep track of things & keep costs under control.

I use spreadsheets too - with weights and frame serial numbers - to help keep track of it all. Plus a box for invoices.

Most certainly helped when I got a new build stolen on it's 2nd ride. They are useful too for pub bikes / commuters
to actually check they are indeed worthless and less expensive than the lock.

I use two unreliable spreadsheets. Both are located in my head. One is more reliable than the other, since the second one is corrupted by denial.

Spreadsheet one is slightly behind my left eye, and knows where every tiny component is. Ever. It's remarkable...and I know my way around dozens of boxes in a small barn and a workshop. It occasionally breaks down ...like the Gorilla Headlock which I am still hunting for ... grrr

Spreadsheet two is cost. I do know how each build is adding up. But the moment the figure pops into my mind I suppress it since it is SCARY. The next build is a COTIC Simple and I thought I could do it with existing bits. Inevitably I now want a new wheel set and a longer ti seat post. Hopeless.

The bikes I spent the most on often turned out to be the most disappointing whereas the cheap and the cheerful have been much more fun

So I just dont worry anymore

Latest posts

Back