* ACTUAL cost of bike build, not what you THOUGHT it cost! *

velofrog

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Yeti Fan
Feedback
View
Has anybody else done what I stupidly just did.... write down the cost of every component of your bike build and actually add them all together for a total.... :facepalm:

In my head I had a rough idea, turns out I was WAY out!! :oops:

My suggested trick is to build something up with cheap, inappropriate or spares-drawer gear parts, call it "finished", and add up *that* cost. One month later, "upgrade" to all the bits you'd always intended to fit. Then it's not a £1200 bike, it's an £800 bike "with a few upgrades".

No, never. It's a bike, deserves to be built up properly, with the right parts.

(i used to, that was a mistake)

Re:

For a couple of them yes, and yes it was a bad idea :LOL:

Even when you did well on an initial buy the build skyrockets so fast its scary TBH

Worst part for me is knowing you have to sell it for less than the total cost unless you strip it back to basics

At least it rides good

➡️

Re:

I don't let it bother me, it's the car's that cause the problems since they have another £200 a month storage costs on top :oops:

But what price do you put on happiness

the voices in my head that try to justify the expense tell me .... the true value is found in the journey rather than the destination, or bottom-line on spreadsheet

the bank manager tells me differently :facepalm:

Aye. Keep it all on a spreadsheet with a tab per bike. Scary some of them. It's more for info than costs though. My memory's shite so helps me keep tabs on what's on or what I want for a build, frame numbers etc & when the day comes to let them go & most likely parted out, I can see what I paid. I also use it to keep tabs of what I've got spare & sold.

Money is a lot tighter now & I've found it's actually better to pay a bit more for a bike with a spec I'm happy with than get a cheap one & build it up.

Don't begrudge a penny spent though!

Back