A Very British Klunker

Very nice stuff, love the England text on the Brooks. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that outer TA ring is not going to work, it is a Criterium ring A.K.A. the holes are in the wrong place, I have a 46 outer of the right type I would swap if that is of any help?
Thanks for the heads up, everyday a school day😄 happy with the cranks though. I was hoping for a big outer ring to deal with the fact I only have a 16 as the tallest gear on the back. Thanks for the offer. Do you have any smaller rings that you would want to swap?

A bit of a play and a ponder in the garage this afternoon. Trying to work out how I will cable up the bike. The front mech is bottom pull so I can use the Sturmey Archer pulley wheel . 20211003_163621.jpg

20211003_163810.jpg

Next the fork...bought a cheap Raleigh 26" locking fork as a test bed, the steerer tube on the original fork is definitely bent so can't be used. In the spirit of the build I can't use unicrown 26" BMX forks ( as the Marin pioneers did) as these were not avaliable in the UK so my choice is limited.I have been looking at 531 touring forks but these all seem to be too narrow at the crown for the 2.125" tyres. I am unsure if the Raleigh fork will be strong enough, but will get the lock picked so I can strip it down and see how I feel, in the meantime any idea's on suitable forks, that wouldn't go against my late 70's, early 80's and only readily avaliable in the UK?

I am sure that Danson69 could sort out the original fork, and why don't you run a full length outer on the front mech as it has the cable stop on it ?

In the spirit of the build I can't use unicrown 26" BMX forks ( as the Marin pioneers did) as these were not avaliable in the UK so my choice is limited.
What? Surely they were. 26" BMXs didn't skip the UK.
What about an Akisu biplane, lugged Tange or something as fitted to many early-mid 80s UK available bikes, then you get canti mounts too?

Build is shaping up really well.

Love the use of the Sturmey “problem solver” pulley wheel.
Forks look great and I bet they’re more than capable on gravel paths & flat single track.
Oh and forks with Canti studs would look so out of place on a bike with drum brakes but then you already know that 😬

Back