A rant: sick to death of dog poo bags and coffee cups

I have never understood how people can be so disgusting, and care so little 😡 I am constantly more convinced that we've destroyed our planet and we're past the point at which it was saveable. If we could only get rid of all those people who just don't care at all, we might have a chance yet... Unlikely though, I know 🤦‍♂️

...a diplomat this week on R4 said 'climate change response policy is easy for everyone to get behind because the issues are so easily understood...' and it is with that thought that I waited for my son outside school, next to a car which had its engine running for 20 minutes....I assume so that the occupant (who was on the phone the entire time) could keep the AC running...'. Those two things are not in line at all.

I struggled to think of what I could say without getting a torrent of abuse...and just couldn't think of exactly what to say.

For many people it appears the primary function of taking their dog out is to prevent it emptying it's bowels at home. The walk is a chore. Where the animal excretes a convenience, and the aftermath of no consequence.

It disgusts me that there are places I cannot walk or ride because they are so heavily contaminated. I've had people mock me for picking up after my dogs when out in the countryside. Yes it's not pleasant to carry, but I took my dog to that place and I have a responsibility to others to leave as I find.

I've harassed people who have walked away without picking up, offered bags and been laughed at. I've also come pretty close to picking it up myself and throwing it at someone who was particularly obnoxious.

Yes, there are good and decent people out there, but their numbers seem to be diminishing. As I age I don't see society improving, and I'm more misanthropic with each day that passes. This 'problem' is, as I see it, a marker of how irresponsible and narcissistic Society is becoming, whilst it pays lip-service to the importance of common values, sharing, caring and benevolence. People don't care enough to take responsibility, they pay their taxes (or not), so someone else will take care of it for them.

Cars parked with engines running- I f@#$ing hate this. I've been threatened, told to f@#$ off, mind my own business, and simply told 'no' for asking people to turn them off.

I cycle to work because I want to, I can, and because I should.

Last edited:
For many people it appears the primary function of taking their dog out is to prevent it emptying it's bowels at home. The walk is a chore. Where the animal excretes a convenience, and the aftermath of no consequence.

It disgusts me that there are places I cannot walk or ride because they are so heavily contaminated. I've had people mock me for picking up after my dogs when out in the countryside. Yes it's not pleasant to carry, but I took my dog to that place and I have a responsibility to others to leave as I find.

I've harassed people who have walked away without picking up, offered bags and been laughed at. I've also come pretty close to picking it up myself and throwing it at someone who was particularly obnoxious.

Yes, there are good and decent people out there, but their numbers seem to be diminishing. As I age I don't see society improving, and I'm more misanthropic with each day that passes. This 'problem' is, as I see it, a marker of how irresponsible and narcissistic Society is becoming, whilst it pays lip-service to the importance of common values, sharing, caring and benevolence. People don't care enough to take responsibility, they pay their taxes (or not), so someone else will take care of it for them.

Cars parked with engines running- I f@#$ing hate this. I've been threatened, told to f@#$ off, mind my own business, and simply told 'no' for asking people to turn them off.

I cycle to work because I want to, I can, and because I should.

My thought on this is that it is a carry over from the mass adoption of social media/internet. People learn to become "keyboard warriors" and then carry it over into real life once fully indoctrinated, because they can. Since nobody ever gets a proper slap anymore, these entitled sods walk around acting like they can do what they want, where they want and when they want.

I cannot ever remember people acting as I've witnessed over the last 10-15 years. Yes, there were horrible and mean people throughout history, but these days, since everyone knows that no matter how they behave, if challenged, they can selectively record with their phones and post a video worldwide instantly and the mob will judge. As such, they are unlikely to suffer a cuff around the ears, and therefore do as they please.

There is no accountability, whereas in the old days, many of these people would have been given a bloody nose, straight off the bat with no questions asked, not immediately been on the phone to a "where theres blame theres a claim" shyster law firm with video footage.

I'm not advocating violence, but these days you can get sued for looking at someone the wrong way, nevermind anything else. I think it''s all connected.

These people know the police aren't going to respond to an "aggravated dog poop", so act accordingly. Unfortunately, society can no longer self police which is absolutely necessary for any society (to an extent).

A lot of large coffee chains/companies have a freepost address. You could do a trail clear and post the refuse to your chosen worst polluter... starbucks, pedigree chum etc.
I have done similar in the past and will do again. Immensely satisfying...

Yes that self-regulation is all important for a society which stands a chance of improving things rather than letting everything slide. We live in a small village, and there’s a reasonable degree of self-organisation regarding litter-sweeps of the verges, things in the village magazine about when dog fouling is persistent, clearing up fly tipping, and so on. But that’s why we moved to a small village...it’s a genuine community, where people help out the old who can’t shop, and do care about things both big and small. But it’s an oasis, I guess...people often say ‘ah...you live there...like stepping back a hundred years....’.

The dog poo bag thing drives us crazy when we are on the South Downs and in Thetford. I agree that if one person leaves a bag in an inappropriate place then people suddenly feel sanctioned to pile them up there. Absolutely stupid, but apparently hardwired into human behaviour. There are existing by-laws which means a fine of up to 1000 gbp in most places, but seldom enforced. I passed a couple in Thetford who were watching their dog defecate from a distance and clearly not going to clean up. I stopped and watched the dog. They stared. I stared. They dithered. I stared. They muttered. I stared. They reluctantly walked back and picked up the mess. I rode on. Ridiculous.You are right to rant. It’s just dreadful.
it has to be 'seen' i.e. caught on camera normally, so grab your phone and start recording, then send it to the dog warden. Plenty leave crap everywhere around here, and the bags. (that's now a littering offence).
They do prosecute a few a month I think, but as with everything, need the evidence.

Last edited:
A lot of large coffee chains/companies have a freepost address. You could do a trail clear and post the refuse to your chosen worst polluter... starbucks, pedigree chum etc.
I have done similar in the past and will do again. Immensely satisfying...
Eh? I don't understand the point in this?

Eh? I don't understand the point in this?
Bag up the polluting waste, send it back to the companies responsible for it. Obviously, trickier to identify the dog food manufacturers, but quite simple with other branded waste.

I waited for my son outside school, next to a car which had its engine running for 20 minutes....I assume so that the occupant (who was on the phone the entire time) could keep the AC running...'. Those two things are not in line at all.

That's an interesting one.
Iirc, idling is now illegal while parked is fineable.
But Since the car is turned on, using your mobile phone is also illegal and fineable etc.

Back