90’s GT RTS Build - Shimano M900 / Syncros / Noleen / Random

jdcXheaknuL658S

Dirt Disciple
All,

I am rebuilding/building my dream bike after 25 years of lusting after a GT RTS Team. I am looking to the forum to help me to source a complete bike set of parts to do a full retro build.

I have noticed a very similar build here http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;start=60

It’s my plan to replicate the pretty iconic 1993? GT Bicycles catalogue bike which had the Spin Wheels.

I have at the moment:
- Frame (Complete)
- Rockshox Mag 21 - Threadless
- Spin Composites
- Magura HS33
- Flite Titanium

Parts that I am looking for:

Shimano - M900 XTR Parts
XTR - 3x Crankset, Cranks (BB nice to have)
XTR - 8 Speed Rear Mech. Is 9-Spd even available with corresponding shifters & cassette?
XTR - 8 Spd Cassette (or compatible)
XTR - Chain (nice to have)

Syncros
26.8mm Hardcore? Seatpost

Random
Noleen NR3 rear shock - I have the one without the remote reservoir, does anyone have the remote reservoir version?
Magura HS33 Carbon Front & Rear Brace - there are some on eBay worst case
Full rear triangle bearing and bolt set for the entire assembly including the dog bone and any bushes - there is no play, but I want to have spares, as they do wear, and the likelihood of something not being right is high.

Thank you, for anything that you either have, or see.

SOURCED:
Stem - I believe they are called a cattle head? Or cattle prod - in black
XTR - 3x Top Pull Front Mech (Tube is ~32mm)
XTR - Shifters Only (F&R, as I have the Magura adapters)

Re:

Hi! That's a nice list :).

Given that you obtained a threadless set of RS forks, you'll need a Syncros Cattlehead, most likely in 1 1/8" flavor. The Cattleprod is the threaded (quill) version.
The concomitant post is called a Hardcore seatpost: what diameter do you require?

Good luck with your parts hunt!

Ok. A bit of an update, I have almost everything I need now.

Have got NOS Crankset and Cassette as well as some used M900 parts that I will put on the bike for getting set up. I’ve also looked like have lined up some replacement Rockshox that have been refurbed.

I am missing:
- 26.8mm Syncros seatpost - still looking
- Noleen NR3 rear shock / a replacement original shock
- The NAS bolt / Av-nut combinations, however, I have a manual with specs now
- Replacement spacers for the damper
- Updated Handlebar - am likely going to just stick what I have on there now, but will upgrade
- I probably need to work out which bottom bracket to go with, I have one, but don’t know condition

Final few jiggly bits I am missing:
- 26.8mm Syncros Hardcore seatpost - still looking, I have a temporary post on it at the moment
- The NAS bolt / Av-nut combinations, however, I have a manual with specs now, but they are not proving easy to source.
- Updated Handlebar as the handles hit the centre tube - am going to just stick what I have on there now, but will upgrade when I work out appropriate
- I probably need to work out which bottom bracket to go with, I have one, but don’t know condition
- Onza Bar Ends
- XTR Skewers
- XTR Crank Bolts
- Handlebar grips - what came on the bike?
- I now might need a replacement Spin wheel, as the one I have seems to be a bit odd.
- A few Magura service parts to fit up the brakes

On the way:
- XTR Shifters (seem to be sorted with both NOS and some good 2nd hand ones)

And finally, A machine shop to swap out the bearings - which is looking to be the hardest part at the moment.

Finished Article. I have the decals from ya man who does them, but prefer it nekked.

cK7kkwk.jpg

Link if the picture doesn't work:https://imgur.com/a/Sbf3FX5

[Edit] And yes, the tyres were swapped back within about 3 minutes of this picture. I'm just keeping you on your toes...

Back