531c alec bird

Thanks to the Mods for moving this thread.

Alec bird Frame number question.....mine is 529.

Assuming it is an AB frame....anybody have an AB frame on this forum?....What year was your made and what is its frame number?

Any leads on this front?

Wow thats a blast from the past, !!! my old track bike :)
cheers for the PM, but I can't really shed much light on anything I'm afraid !
Everthing I know . . . . . and some

I bought it a couple of years before the post, maybe 2005 from a bloke in North Moulton. Devon. who was emigrating. or maybe just going to work in Singapore, I cant remember his name (although I ride past the house now and then !) anyway, before I moved to Devon (16 years ago) I lived near Bromley and commuted to WC1, I had a blue carlton track bike that had been sprayed up in flam blue by ken Bird;s (and rebadged as such) that I rode in the winter, sold it to a member of the south east road club who was called Steve, I then went off to Asia for a year, anyway I'm flicking though the north devon Journal ten years later and theres a blue alec bird track for sale, so I go round there and find the guy used to race at Herne hill and commute from Bromley to WC1 on it before moving to Devon, it had cinelli track drops, and a perforated assos track saddle exactly like my old bike, (I've still got the saddle) I thought it was probably an old 531 carlton that had had a refinish at alec birds !
it had the sloping forks on it when I got it,

Sorry I don't know more !!
Looks realy nice now though :)

phoog":4l2knjy3 said:
Wow thats a blast from the past, !!! my old track bike :)
cheers for the PM, but I can't really shed much light on anything I'm afraid !
Everthing I know . . . . . and some

I bought it a couple of years before the post, maybe 2005 from a bloke in North Moulton. Devon. who was emigrating. or maybe just going to work in Singapore, I cant remember his name (although I ride past the house now and then !) anyway, before I moved to Devon (16 years ago) I lived near Bromley and commuted to WC1, I had a blue carlton track bike that had been sprayed up in flam blue by ken Bird;s (and rebadged as such) that I rode in the winter, sold it to a member of the south east road club who was called Steve, I then went off to Asia for a year, anyway I'm flicking though the north devon Journal ten years later and theres a blue alec bird track for sale, so I go round there and find the guy used to race at Herne hill and commute from Bromley to WC1 on it before moving to Devon, it had cinelli track drops, and a perforated assos track saddle exactly like my old bike, (I've still got the saddle) I thought it was probably an old 531 carlton that had had a refinish at alec birds !
it had the sloping forks on it when I got it,

Sorry I don't know more !!
Looks realy nice now though :)

Thanks for getting back to me....never know if people stop using the forum...but before i inform others of what you have said...can i get you to clarify what i think you have said in this post to me.

The blue bike at the start of this thread that has now been resprayed and i now own is in fact a Carlton track bike and not an Alec Bird frame. is that the case?...Please confirm...or just a coincidence?

You owned it...sold it and bought it back?....or am i getting confused?

Did the frame ever have Ken Bird decals on it?

You don't know if the frame number appeared on the forks too?....It says on the BB...529

Look forward to your next reply with great interest.....Thanks again...cheers....Leon

yeah I wasn't very clear really !

I can't tell if it was my original bike, the saddle was the same (this was an unusual assos "unicantor" type with about 100 hand drilled holes in it, very very unique), as were the forks, stem and bars etc etc, the only differance was that the original I sold the first time had Ken Bird decals on it, I'm 95% sure it was the same bike I bought back as an Alec Bird , although I never made a note of any numbers so I really can't be 100% sure.
I was sure enough in 2007 to part with cash :)

I hope that makes sense

if it wasn't the same bike then I bought an alec bird with sloping crown forks in 2005ish

if it was the same bike then I bought it as a resprayed carlton with Ken Bird decals on it in 1988 solld it in 1996 and bought it back 10 years later resprayed with Alec bird decals on it

I hope that makes sense !!
I can post a pic of the saddle, and differant shots of the bike from 2006/7 if you like

phoog":1d0yb1hi said:
yeah I wasn't very clear really !

I can't tell if it was my original bike, the saddle was the same (this was an unusual assos "unicantor" type with about 100 hand drilled holes in it, very very unique), as were the forks, stem and bars etc etc, the only differance was that the original I sold the first time had Ken Bird decals on it, I'm 95% sure it was the same bike I bought back as an Alec Bird , although I never made a note of any numbers so I really can't be 100% sure.
I was sure enough in 2007 to part with cash :)

I hope that makes sense

if it wasn't the same bike then I bought an alec bird with sloping crown forks in 2005ish

if it was the same bike then I bought it as a resprayed carlton with Ken Bird decals on it in 1988 solld it in 1996 and bought it back 10 years later resprayed with Alec bird decals on it

I hope that makes sense !!
I can post a pic of the saddle, and different shots of the bike from 2006/7 if you like

Hi...if you have any more pics it would be really good.

It would be odd for you to sell a frame which has some unusual kit on it and get a different frame but get all the same bits back....and it is not uncommon for someone to get a favourite frame resprayed.....Do you remember the frame number of your original frame....ie Ken Bird [KBs frames were made by Alec?...So does 529.....ring any bells???

I've found an email address for Simon Bird....Ken's father..so sent him
an email.

Cheers.....Leon

bond1.jpg

bond2.jpg

bond3.jpg

bond4.jpg

I'll post a pic of the orig seat up when I find/take one :)
also I've just checked and I bought it in 2003

Thanks for that....pictures are most appreciated.

Any recollection on the frame number?....I can understand if you don't!

One little question about the rear brake bridge....there is a little hole..that i thought someone was going to drill a hole for a rear brake but one of the above pics give the impression the little hole has something to do with a rear mudguard...ie it attaches to the frame at that point...is that correct?

Again apologies for the further questions...but is this correct.

You had a frame that was as far as you knew was a Carlton track frame.....did it any time have Carlton decals [did it have a 531 DB decal and was it the type with 531 at a diagonal or the more modern type?].....and you had it resprayed flam blue by Ken Bird [you were living in Bromley close to his shop] or had it KB decals when you bought in 1988?......you then sold it.....you bought a frame 10 years later with a virtually identical saddle and seatpost [both unusual].....i take it you didn't buy it back from Steve...but from someone who had moved to Devon and had done the same commute from Bromley to WC1....only this time....it was painted again [?] and had Alec Bird decals.....is that how it happened?

This is complicated.....but appreciate your assistance...cheers.....Leon

Back