2mm rotors vs 1.8mm?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Magura brakes come with 2mm rotors, and very nice they are too I'm sure. In fact I can say they are as the storm rotors on a build have been great.
However, hope floating rotors do look very nice.

So, dilemma is, brand new magura brakes with stock storm 2mm rotors, or use 1.8mm hope floating rotors?

Will the .2mm make much difference?

I've read various opinions ranging from it's all good, to no way, and also it's fine, but run more fluid to compensate for the rotors being a little further out.

Brain is saying use stock rotors and get magura floating when more easily available and when I wear out the storm ones, but wondering if other affordable 2mm floating rotors are out there?

What would you do?

I'd like magura floating rotors but hard to come by.

If you like magura floating rotors then get magura floating rotors?
I don't know if you are riding in muddy winters or what but otherwise it'll be ages before you wear out a set of rotors.

You'll only be unhappy with the stock storm ones. Then it will cost you more to swap later on.😉

I don't think there's much in it @ 0.2mm. I'm using hope floating rotors with shimano saint fwiw. But the older model round ones not the wavy ones. I think they have fixed their rivets that tended to stick out a bit now. Plus formula two piece with magura trail sports. They work.😁

Cheap alternatives are easy enough to find:

I always use two piece rotors. Reason being, I got some Hayes V9 rotors once, 9" jobs, which are one piece, and on [street] downhill runs in Tenerife the front one was literally & visibly flopping from side to side what looked like about a centimetre! 😲 I wish I had a video of it. Looked like it was made of cheese, it was that floppy. Scary!

Pads have got 2mm of material on them that wears out, 1.8mm rotors will put the pistons in the same position as a few days riding.

Only advantage I can see of 2mm over 1.8 is resistance to warping might be a bit better, but that's negated by floating discs.

Thanks, I was thinking that 0.2mm was nothing to worry about and pad wear would equate to that at some point so might just use the hopes I have and marvel at their lovely lookingness and forget about such small margins.

Latest posts

Back