2006 Salsa Ala Carte

retroJIM

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Hi all,

I'm just about to start a new build so thought I'd post about it on here. The frame arrived this morning, it's a 2006 Salsa Ala Carte. I think it's a bit of a Marmite colour scheme, I love it but the other half doesn't like it at all.

The frame is in great condition and only needs a bit of a polish. I've got a Shimano XT m770 groupset to hang off it and I'll be sticking to v-brakes despite the presence of disc mounts.

There's apparently room for 650b wheels too so that may be option with disc brakes at a later date. It's good to have the choice. More pics to follow as I build it up.

Attachments

• specs.png
    specs.png
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,595
  • geometry.png
    geometry.png
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,596
  • frame.jpg
    frame.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 1,593
This seems to have come together quite quickly and I'm hoping to take it out for spin today.

A few changes I intend to make though, the red hope skewers need to go, red and orange definitely doesn't work!

I think I'll also change the Race Face Turbine stem, I don't like the large cutouts which reveal the bare steel of the steerer tube.

Anyway this is the current spec.

Frame: 19.5" 2006 Salsa Ala Carte
Fork: Salsa Cromoto

Headset: Hope
Stem: Race Face Turbine 80mm
Handlebar: KCNC Rampant
Grips: Burgtec Bartender

Brakes: Shimano XT m770
Brake Levers: Shimano Deore

Shifters: Shimanno SLX m660
Front Derailleur: Shimano XT m770
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT m770
Cassette: Shimano XT m770
Chain: Shimano CN-HG53
Cranks and chainrings: Shimano XT m770
Bottom Bracket: Shimano Deore BB52 Hollowtech
Pedals: Burgtec MK4 Composite

Hub Skewers: Hope QR
Rims: Ryde Andra 30
Hubs: Shimano XT m770
Tyres: Schwalbe Nobby Nic

Saddle: Selle Italia Flite
Seatpost: Controltech 27.2mm
Seatpost Binder: Salsa Lip-Lock

Attachments

• salsa_ala_carte.jpg
    salsa_ala_carte.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 1,480
Tasteful work. Orange frame goes nicely with black components. I'd normally love that stem cut-out but you're right, it doesn't quite work here.

adroitstif":2wpvd9hf said:
Tasteful work. Orange frame goes nicely with black components. I'd normally love that stem cut-out but you're right, it doesn't quite work here.

Cheers. It's a good opportunity to work out the best length and rise as I'm not sure that suits me either. I'm thinking a Hope XC or maybe, if I can find one, a 2nd hand Salsa to match the frame.

I confess that now I'm in my mid 40's, I'm struggling with the high saddle low bars that many 26 inch bikes have.

So as an experiment and inspired by this Stooge Scrambler build. I've purchased some Stooge "Junker" bars and a Thomson BMX stem.

I like the look and the ride feels pretty good considering the reduced reach. What do you guys think? I did try a high rise (35 degree) stem but it looked rubbish.

I've already chopped the bars down from 820mm to 750mm as they were too long.

Attachments

• IMG_20200916_091457.jpg
    IMG_20200916_091457.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 929
  • IMG_20200916_091512.jpg
    IMG_20200916_091512.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 928
Back