2000 Marin Mount Vision Build

Re:

Very Nice!

I've been busy in lockdown cleaning and replacing a few parts to get mine back to original spec.

Attachments

• IMG_7905.JPG
    IMG_7905.JPG
    276.6 KB · Views: 424
Re:

Nice on too. I do prefer the Mk1 version with the white Manitous.

My frame is cleaned as are the forks and derailleurs, now putting it back together again.

Attachments

• IMG_9231.jpg
    IMG_9231.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 410
Just got myself a 2003 Mount Vision. I’m not new to off roading but am new to full sus. It’s in great nick but the rear shock, a Fox float RL, doesn’t lock out - I’ve read this is typical, and may be just the way it is rather than being faulty.
Can I get a replacement that will lock out? It’s hard work enough after my much lighter, nimble hard tail.

Re:

Squeezing in a last ride before the darkness and mud set in.

A few teenagers rode past me, and one of them called out "sexy bike!". Pretty sure he was taking the piss as it's older than he was... But part of me can't help taking it as a compliment!

Attachments

• 20201019_173316_compress83.jpg
    20201019_173316_compress83.jpg
    569.3 KB · Views: 306
  • 20201019_173344_compress45.jpg
    20201019_173344_compress45.jpg
    516.1 KB · Views: 303
Back out on the trails now the mud's subsided!

20210407_174251.jpg

Swapped out the trigger shifters for grip shift over winter and liking it a lot. Means I can finally get the brake levers in the right position for single fingered braking despite the narrow bar width.

Had to swap out the SID dual air shock due to a persistent leak on the negative air chamber of the previous one. Now running a fox float - despite being a bit less fancy it rides really well. Maybe a smidge more bob pedaling on the road, but could just be my imagination.

Still puts a big smile on my face every time I ride it, and consistently surprises me with just how damn fast it is!

Looks great Hawkhill, where do you ride?
Cheers! This pic is from black down, the highest point in the Mendip Hills. There's a good variety of trail types up there, from groomed pump track style trails to loose rocky bridleways. Good but of elevation change too!

Most of the riding I do is based around Mendip or South of Bristol, with the occasional trip to Exmoor or the quantocks. Hoping to get out to the forest of Dean and bike park Wales this summer... But probably not on this bike!

Still in love with this bike!

20210811_181901.jpg

Out of interest, is there anything remotely similar in terms of geometry and travel being made these days, or is this sort of bike consigned to the history books?

With the right marketing maybe it's time will come again!

"Still in love with this bike!"

I can see why. With a longer "top tube" and slacker head tube it would pass for a modern single pivot bike.
Just looking at your last picture did you anything to slacken the head angle i.e. longer fork or off set shock mounts?

The effective top tube is already pretty long on these bikes (at least when combined with a 100mm stem) to give a nice stretched out riding position.

Haven't tried offset bushes, as I'm really happy with how it rides and don't feel the need to slacken it off. It's a fairly short axle to crown fork (RST Delta) so pretty much stock geometry.

TBH the BB is already quite high and I'd not be massively keen on raising it further with a longer fork!

Latest posts

Back