2000 Kona Score Titanium

ben.johnson.mt

Dirt Disciple
More pics forthcoming, but thought I'd share this interesting "score" I found on eBay recently (USA). Have a little chat on it in the Kona Ti Serial Numbers thread but thought I'd share it here as well, and post up a little more about it. As per discussion in the linked thread, there were possibly only a hundred of these produced, and this is one of a couple documented 18" frames (weren't in the catalog either).

From that thread:
Score Frame Numbers 2000:
Production of the Score was halted mid-season, allegedly due to the cost of producing the frame. Dan Capek at Kona told me that if he had to guess, between 20 and 50 Score frames were built.

Another source however that seems more certain, said that 100 Score frames were made. Fifty 15’’, Forty 17'' and Ten 17'' - long (longer top tube).

The 18” frame was never documented in any of the Kona Spec – only 15”, 17” and 17” Long - or Small, Medium & Long. Nevertheless, Pip owned one in 18”, and saw one more 18” Score for sale in the U.S. in an old Pinkbike advert, which may possibly had been his before it came to the U.K. A second confirmed 18" was shared in July-22, so perhaps a small batch were produced after-all.

As for this bike: spec below
Frame: Kona Score 18" and long (23ish" top tube)
Forks: Bomber z1 QR20
Bars: Azonic PDW Chubby 26.8 clamp
Stem: Azonic Shorty? Need to double check
Seatpost: NA
Saddle: NA
Brakes: XT hydraulic disc
Cranks: Raceface NorthShore XS
Pedals: Shimano DX PD-M646
Rear derailleur: XTR m953
Front Derailleur XTR m???
Shifter: XTR 95x 3x9
Cassette: XTR m953
Chain: (haven't checked)
Wheels: Hayes disc, DT Hugi disc hubs, Sun Rhyno Lite Rims

Sorry for the one pic tease; like I said: more to come!

Attachments

• IMG_3569.JPG
    IMG_3569.JPG
    534.1 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Absolutely love these Kona score frame and the only ones I’ve ever seen for sale are the smaller sizes. Would have snapped a large one up as they must have been produced in extremely low numbers so hens teeth indeed!

I always thought, the frame decals would look super cool with a set of king sour apple hubs and headset!

Will be interested to see what your plans are for her! Have you any ideas yet?

Absolutely love these Kona score frame and the only ones I’ve ever seen for sale are the smaller sizes. Would have snapped a large one up as they must have been produced in extremely low numbers so hens teeth indeed!

I always thought, the frame decals would look super cool with a set of king sour apple hubs and headset!

Will be interested to see what your plans are for her! Have you any ideas yet?
Ooh Sour Apple on that would be pretty awesome! No plans yet... I'm a ride a bike kinda guy so was thinking about building it as a dirt jumper single speed type of thing with an eccentric White Ind wheel I have.

Handful more pics

Attachments

• IMG_3616.JPG
    IMG_3616.JPG
    357.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3621.JPG
    IMG_3621.JPG
    512.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3617.JPG
    IMG_3617.JPG
    281.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3618.JPG
    IMG_3618.JPG
    317.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3619.JPG
    IMG_3619.JPG
    490.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3620.JPG
    IMG_3620.JPG
    447.8 KB · Views: 64
Absolutely fantastic, and we know Pip would have (is) gone nuts over this. Super-uber rare to the point they don't exist... accept they do!

Really looking forward to seeing this built up.

How the hell did I miss that?! I've been looking for an 18" Score for like 14 years..... AAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!

Good for you dude. I'm jealous & a little pissed I missed it.

So friggen cool!!!

If you EVER want to sell it, please reach out. And I mean EVER.

Last edited:
Update:

Ben was kind enough to sell me the frame.
Right now I'm going to source a few missing pieces and build it up with:
XTR 950 cranks, shifters derailleurs,
100mm Marz Marathon S (not sure if I can short stroke my Purple 55 RC3 Ti)
XT M785 brakes, just need to source a rear.
Black CK headset
Black Diety Black Label bars, Black Thomson post & my fave WTB Volt Ti seat
Easton Haven stem w/ black ti bolts
Chromag seat QR
Pedals...not sure black flats.

Wheels will be tough, so those may be pulled from my Bianchi.... Anyway, won't be period, but should be awesome. ... Debating getting fresh decals from Gil and doing a fresh brush to get rid of the very few rubs & scratches.... But I'll have more than enough time to deal with that.

Thanks again Ben! Been on the hunt since 2012, you made a dream come true!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    632 KB · Views: 51
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    748 KB · Views: 50
I might be wrong, but I dont think Gil can do the glow in the dark decals, so it would be a shame to lose them. What an amazing unicorn bike!

I don't think Gil can. And you're right, would be terrible. Kona still makes, or they made batches of glow in the dark stickers. Thinking about reaching out to see who they use,

Latest posts

Back