2000(ish) Z4 Air rebound adjustment

Sketchyxup

Retro Guru
Hopefully someone can clear it up for me, i've just got a set of Marzocchi Z4 Airlight forks and according to the manual online the rebound can be adjusted with 'the supplied hex rod' which i dont have, does anyone know what size and length this would need to be?

I seem to remember from years ago that it was around the 5-6mm size but googling suggests anything from 2 to 10mm?

1628256016881.png

it's only a plastic hex as it's not an overly tight nut. I'll measure it tonight but I seem to remember 10mm. I have to admit that usually just used a socket extension and hex key but very very careful so as not to scratch the inside of the stancion.

Cheers for checking, I had a go at the weekend and it was the 8mm that seemed to fit. Saying that one adjuster seemed to move freely in both directions with no feeling of reaching the end of a movement and the other side was stiff to turn in both directions? Neither direction seemed to make much difference to the damping?

all it's doing is turning a plate in the bottom of the foot to open or close holes. there should be some resistance and there should be a stop. they get gunked up by crap in the oil. you'll only be able to tell it's made a difference once the fork is rebuilt and pressurised.

the fact it didn't make any difference suggests it isn't working :(. they are pretty easy to strip down given that now you've pulled the top cap it's only the foot nut to undo and the whole top end comes out.

That's the next step. They're the NOS ones that popped up on CRC a while back so should be brand new internally, they could be gummed up though, afterall they've been sat not moving for 20+years it would probably be a good shout to put some fresh oil in regardless.

Dug a little deeper and an oil change is definately a good idea, the old stuff seems to have formed a sticky varnish over everyhing so worth taking apart.
The dampers are a little more confusing, the seem to be a plain bore which is what i could feel offering a bit of resistance to the 8mm key. There doenst appear to be anything inside of this which would restrict the oil flow, just a small hole at the top and one near the bottom.

1628600625001.png

I wonder if these forks are a non-adjustable oem version?

1628600687970.png

New lighter oil arriving tomorrow so i'll get them back together and see what difference that makes.

they look like z5 push rods. strange. can't say I've stripped an OEM fork so your guess could well be right.

Back