1x vs 3x: The Maths

1× has possibly replaced 3× because 3× offers an unnecessary number of gear ratios for the kind of terrain ridden on an mtb.
Yes.....exactly.....downhill requires no gears, so 12 is too many!

Sadly 99% of downhill drivetrains don't get used downhill....they get used like every other bike....for lots of stuff .

Big Jumps between cogs downhill is fine, but on the road makes for an annoying and uncomfortable ride. Its the equivalent of say just use top middle and bottom on a 7 speed block due to the massive spacing gaps. So either pedal like mad or push your guts out.....sorry not for me......i will stick with the "non comsumer" option.....no thanks mr shimano.....but do enjoy your share dividend off the drones money.

Shimano are not daft, they know triple setups are needed, they just keep them for us uncool people and call it Trekking and still make them in modern XT quality.
T8000 T780 series and below.

Trekking the modern name for ATB.

Double for the really cool hipsters on Gravel bikes.

and Single for the MTB aka trail centres.

Easy.

Oh I like your wit, sir! They'll enjoy that when I deploy it at another unmentioned forum
Let em have it 👍

And is ATB .....actually better described as A2B....🤔

Too much car boot jewellery at the mo....
This thing that 1x is less therefore more really only exists because there's been so much other stuff added....fatter tyres...pivot points ...carbon that needs bigger diameters to give strength and lose weight..etc...it's simply because fitting a front derailleur and a sensible sized chainring has become nigh on physically impossible unless you want a bike the length of a bus and and as wide....oh hang on that's what they handle like nowadays isn't it 😆
Marketing is tripping up engineering....and as tootyred has implied....there's bean counters sticking their oar in too.🙄

Some and possibly alot, of people find managing 21-27 gears too much for their cognative capacity. I personally don't have a problem with that but having to choose 1 or 2 gears instead of possibly 6 and still making the wrong choice, is much easier and quicker. It's the same kind of problem when ordering a meal at a hamburgure resteraunt. Keep it as simple as possible then less can go wrong.

I don't get this at all, choosing a gear is based entirely on if I'm finding the pedalling too easy or too hard. That's where having more steps helps for me, less chance the perfect resistance for me at that moment is between 2 of them. It's not a choice I've ever spent much cognative capacity on, my muscles decide 😁

Having said that, I don't have much experience on a modern 1x bike. Also, the type of riding I do is probably more akin to what gravel bikes are aimed at rather than actual "mountain" biking.

I don't get this at all, choosing a gear is based entirely on if I'm finding the pedalling too easy or too hard. That's where having more steps helps for me, less chance the perfect resistance for me at that moment is between 2 of them. It's not a choice I've ever spent much cognative capacity on, my muscles decide 😁

Having said that, I don't have much experience on a modern 1x bike. Also, the type of riding I do is probably more akin to what gravel bikes are aimed at rather than actual "mountain" biking.
Most of the people that are members of this forum are experienced cyclists. Some of the people i come into contact with through my job, are not. I have the almost constant honour of trying to educate people how to utilise a 3× system. At other times, I have the honour of explaining to customers why their chain is worn out after 6 months of use. It's a never ending story.

Back