1x vs 3x: The Maths

Yes, it's about the same as 47/13, which isn't a mile from the 48/13 I run on my road bike in the winter.
The difference is that an 11T cog doesn't last long; while a smaller chainring means higher chain tensions and more wear.

(and I absolutely agree with the point on chainline)

Why won't this thread die?

I was riding 1x8 in the 90s. I am SO ahead of my time.

What happened to the 4x front ring adapter? mountain tamer quad?

I'm going the other way. singlespeed at the back, 10 chainrings on the front.

Sadly you are all missing the point of 1x gearing.

Why would the manufacturer want to sell you a £20 cassette in 11 -32 ratio, when they can sell you a 10-50 for £180!

Plus you only have to make 1 ring for the front and not bother providing a front shifter, derailleur or cable!😂.

I do own a 1x system. Its a 9 speed 11-32 which i use on my cross country flyer.....its standard ring with a Rohloff retainer.......the spread is just about ok.

For me the thing about triples is the ability to use the gears, im not dawdling, but im not spinning out or doing 25mph, so, what i like is small, convenient, nice gaps between gears......sadly a 1x dinner plate does not get you that as the graph shows.

Yes... you have to understand where the gears are, yes....its a bit of shifting...but its not like they are even on the downtube anymore! And with indexing and hyperglide etc, its not exactly a pain moving gears.

Plus i have to agree with above, 1x systems have redundant gears, just as much or more than 3x, due to the chain angle....you can't claim one system has it, then say the other doesn't! So you have 10 gears not 12? Now how's your ratios looking?

Obviously, shimino don't care about you wrecking the chain and cogs....as then they can sell you more of them too!

Excuse me Emperor.........

Last edited:
3× is dead and now unnecessary. The running costs of 1× set ups are expensive but very suitable for Mtb's. 2× is most suitable for gravel bikes, specially 2×10, regarding running costs and variation of gear ratios. That's my P.O.V. anyway and everybody elses wallet.

Some and possibly alot, of people find managing 21-27 gears too much for their cognative capacity. I personally don't have a problem with that but having to choose 1 or 2 gears instead of possibly 6 and still making the wrong choice, is much easier and quicker. It's the same kind of problem when ordering a meal at a hamburgure resteraunt. Keep it as simple as possible then less can go wrong.

1× has possibly replaced 3× because 3× offers an unnecessary number of gear ratios for the kind of terrain ridden on an mtb.
Last time I properly used a 3x to do what an MTB does I used all 3. Funnily enough it was climbing and descending a mountain.
Out of the bunch of lads I was with on 1x guess who was quickest to the top and down?
ATB/MTB used to mean just that....now to me MTB is missing something because of 1x....
Oh yeah ....it's an R ...it should be MTBR ...

Mounted To Bike Rack.....😆

Back