199x Klein Rascal too good to passup or passable?

So here is the scoop. The bike was for sale on Craigslist, not from a family friend. Didnt want to let anyone grab it from underneath me. I made a deal with myself, if the bike fit it was a buy, if not I wouldnt purchase it. Aside from the frame, fork and kooka cranks not much else on the bike was of any value that I know of.

Went to take a look at the bike, good condition, little bit of chain rash, dime sized scrape between the bottle cage mounts on the down tube. Fork worked well without any chipping or scaling of the chrome on the piston. Frame was WAY to small. Didnt buy it, now I'm having non-buyers remorse. I'll call back tomorrow but other buyers were lined up.

I figure I didnt miss out on too much money from parting it out.

Figure $300 for the frame
$175 from the fork
$75 for the cranks.

maybe.

That seems like a lot of effort and three pages of bullshit, when there is a request for valuations section at the top of the page...

BB

Does any of that really matter though?? And why does something have to be 'bullsh*t' just because you differ in opinion??

We_are_Stevo":2xan16e9 said:
And why does something have to be 'bullsh*t' just because you differ in opinion??
You're kidding, right?
eshew":2xan16e9 said:
So here is the scoop. The bike was for sale on Craigslist, not from a family friend.
translation: I bullsh!tted to you

We_are_Stevo":2xan16e9 said:
Didnt want to let anyone grab it from underneath me.

Nice to see our mores are so well thought of. Like FSR guy from the weekend (who's 24 of his 25 posts were arguing why he shouldn't have to post his valuation question in the sticky'd valuation thread), this one was just here on a fishing expidition. One thing can be said about this particular thread, the OP was treated a hell of a lot better here than he would have been at MTBR. Probably why he didn't post there in the first place.

Yikes!

Didn't mean to start a fight guys.

1st I am a noob in terms of vintage bikes. I've always purchased bikes or frames with the sole intent of destroying them from use. When it breaks I get a used one somewhere and start the process over again. Yay!

Found this site a few years back & love it. Plenty of great information, people and awesome bike builds. In fact I would say that this forum has opened my eyes to the awesomeness of the bikes I lusted over as a boy.

To everyone who feels betrayed or angry or wronged that I lied to you by saying the bike was from a family friend I do apologize. It's not you, it's me. Although our relationship has been short I should have trusted you and been honest from the beginning. For that I am sorry. I'll send flowers. (I won't) (I won't return your calls either)

In terms of my choice to come here to post my question regarding the klein. I chose here over mtbr because I know you guys are the absolute experts, hands down.

Didn't expect getting called a noob (although I'll be the first to admit) over here or the forum bashing though. You guys are better than that :)

Now I must bid you all a happy fairwell until luck, chance or craigslist allows me to find another hidden gem to ask for your guidance on.

Thank you for your assistance with this bike, seriously. I can't believe I got cold feet. I'll do better next time I promise.

Cheers :)

ps I 'll use the valuation sticky next time, didn't even see it.

It wouldn't be unheard of for someone else to beat him to it if he'd been upfront. Which would be fine imo. But it's also fine (and natural) to try to keep an undiscovered gem a secret to avoid that happening imo.

All's fair in love and war. And buying bikes. There seems to be quite a few po-faced around here, with supposed morals I don't understand. And as for noobs getting burned this place is VERY friendly compared with other forums I use.

Back