1999 Kona Pahoehoe 'Pipmeister' build thread

Just seen this thread, really pleased to see Pips heritage at the UK version of Kona Mecca. I've had the pleasure of spending time at HQ; it's a great spot with a great gang. Highly recommend anyone who's got the slightest interest in Kona making a visit.
Thanks, yes it’s a great team and I’m proud to have joined it 4 months ago. We pride ourselves on great workshop service and supplying awesome bikes.
Always a cup of tea for anyone who mentions retrobike!
Re Pip, if anyone has too many classic Konas to store, we have ‘away from prying fingers’ display space where bikes will be viewed much to the envy of our regulars

So this pipmeister...
Is to become a 700c gravel commuter for me to get to work ... 20 odd miles each way. Maybe 3 times a week over summer, hopefully.

Any advice?

Im looking at a drop link to make the rear mech run a wide range Sunrace cassette 11-42
Go to single narrow wide on the front... 36t?
Wheels - relace onto some DT 'gravel' rims 700c. Some kind of tan wall gravel tyre.

I have a random Kona Libre carbon 700c fork, 1.5 tapered head tube but I believe I can run that in here with a special bottom cup. Or run a P2 as we have some 700c ones in stock...

Mock up with a random rear 700c wheel (x38c)

Screenshot 2022-04-08 at 20.20.56.png

It'd have to be a very special bottom cup wouldn't it just yes it would. You got a link to see one do it's thing?
I run 11-42 cassette on my daft '92 explosif klunkmuter with 650b road+ tyres. 38t ring is peachy. Can rattle out a fair old lick downhill and handles some big ol' dales climbs even though I'm a shadow of my former self fitness wise.

IMG_20220326_124627.jpg
Ok, it's not a Kona, but it is a Joe Murray bike, being a Voodoo. It was originally a 26" hardtail MTB, but aim running narrow 29er rims with 700c tyres. The fork is a 1 1/8" straight steerer though.

It'd have to be a very special bottom cup wouldn't it just yes it would. You got a link to see one do it's thing?
I run 11-42 cassette on my daft '92 explosif klunkmuter with 650b road+ tyres. 38t ring is peachy. Can rattle out a fair old lick downhill and handles some big ol' dales climbs even though I'm a shadow of my former self fitness wise.
It’s an Ec44/40 bottom cup from what I remember. I think I have one in stock. Will play about with it. I think I have a well scratched up Nos p2/700 disc fork somewhere gathering dust so if that’s straight that’s easier.

Ec44 would require your head tube to have a 44mm internal diameter though. Y'aint got dat.
In honesty, I need to check out what I have exactly, but in my head I have a bottom headset that runs an external bearing that allows a taper at the bottom end, and while raising the head tube a little, given enough fork steerer, it lets it all work.
Or I could be wrong.
Im not in my headset box of stuffs at work.

Ec44 would require your head tube to have a 44mm internal diameter though. Y'aint got dat.
What Albash says. I've just used the EC44 for a tapered fork in my On One build. It replaces a semi-integrated cup on a 44mm head tube. Older bikes, like your Kona and my Voodoo have a 34mm head tube that does not have any option for a tapered fork that I am aware of.

We will see! Im sure there was a work around.
Either way, I have enough P2 of various kinds I can make something work, for a super budget switcherooo

Latest posts

Back