1997 GT Tequesta

BobCatMax

Retrobike Rider
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
So this is it. The bike that started it all.

not the bike that got me moving, or the bike that got me on the trails. They were all thompsons or scaffold pole steel raleighs. No, this is the bike I spent my first hard-earned student loan on, my first "proper" mtb.

Stolen some 4 years after I bought it in '97 from a shop on New Cavendish St, I have never seen another on in this size until Super_G's came up for sale. So after some 241 miles this afternoon, I have another one...thank you dude.

Tequesta_arrival_zps4b89bdcc.jpg

apologies for the crappy phone pic. more when I have some time.

The eventual plan is to put this back to nearly catalogue spec (I still have the original tyres from my first one in the cave) STX-RC throughout as and when funds allow. With any luck she'll be out for the National on the 18th, but probably not so different from the pic above

I have the English 1997 GT catalogue if you want any details?

Change the stem maybe?

Nice purchase, I saved and purchased a 1997 backwoods as my first purchase self funded. Loved it.

A photo of the bike from the Catalogue would be amazing coomber, thank you!

already been chatting to him ;)

so, an hours fettling this afternoon before a proper shakedown ride. Stem replaced with the original and some kona racelite bars in place of the risers that were there. these need to eventually be replaced by some kore bars...

very happy with the position and the ride, i think i should've given a little more consideration to the parts and their age....

post shakedown and i've blown the rear mech (and trail repaired it) and taken a gouge out of the BB with the chain

still managed to get a nice pic of it once home though

fettle1aweb_zps01095420.jpg

over the moon!

What a great colour , is going to be a work in progress or a stripdown , gather the bits then build ? :D

Cheers Paul.

thanks shinobi, it really shines in the sunlight! It's going to be a work in progress I think, as I can't resist being able to ride it :LOL:

Thanks Chris, yeah, a whole better. it also dissuades the wife from riding it as her arms aren't that long ;)

Are the wheels original ? i have pretty much NOS mavic 238 rim and some odds and ends of stx that might help if funds are tight :D

Cheers Paul

the wheels are not original Paul. Currently sporting 7-speed deore STis with a 6 speed block at the back. I'd like to put it back to 8 speed back and compact triple up front. I have a rear wheel with an 8 block on the back for the time being but am desperately in need of a crankset...whatcha got??

Latest posts

Back