1997 Claud Butler Cape Wrath FINISHED

mk one":3kuwanub said:
I love Magics, but the black tyres definitely suit it better

Cheers Mark, yes definitely calms it down...it’s all catalogue now (except the cables) and makes a good book end to my Cape collection.

The History Man":3ebeibq0 said:
Can’t see any faces in yours.

Unfortunately it’s all rather dull & uniform as walls go... :|

Wanted to get my 1997 Cape Wrath ready to ride today (as apposed to just RB photo ready)
Replaced the period correct psychos, dialled the gears in perfectly, sorted the brakes & removed the big chunky plastic toe clips and set the saddle height.
Rode out of the gates only to hear an unhappy sound, only when I pedalled.
Thought it was the sticky right pedal. Changed the pedals. Nope.
Thought maybe the UN52 BB, swapped it out for a UN72. Nope.
Only when I’d swapped everything back did I realise the cassette had a wobble.
Two problems with the hub. Free hub was loose and the near side cone was pitted.
Right I had a spare Parallax hub so swapped out the free hub & the cone was so much better.... until it rolled off the back of my heaviest bench that is fully loaded with all my power tools.
At that point I had to come in to make a risotto.🤦‍♂️

Rather than a hash?
Certainly took me long enough! 🤦‍♂️ Found the little critter eventually, bit mucky but cleaned up well and certainly in better condition than it’s predecessor!
F39A3E42-9854-47AA-927C-CB6FC8786E16.jpeg B40C4E76-AA49-4E6F-B592-847747B7A9C0.jpeg E28A91B2-C65B-407A-B1F2-64AA7C2991AB.jpeg
Good job the 2000 Parallax 8s FH-MC18 has all the same gubins as the ‘97 Parallax 8s FH-MC38a STX-RC hub. 😁
9E96500D-52E1-4473-930F-0FAFE2933A0F.jpeg

Hello - (new to here) I've just bought a 97 Cape Wrath (not like the mint end product in this thread) its my first proper update. I've done a few mechanical kind of updates but this needs a bit of TLC - (however in far better nick than I first thought when i got home) - I'll stick a few pics up after an initial scrub with a toothbrush and wetrag in the light tomorrow but def need some direction/guidance on a few areas! Cheers. Great Forum

Bit of work to do with this (why did I bother ha) - bearings were rusted and fell out the bottom after test ride so I'll change them - thing to m more interested in doing (and never done) is repolishing the frame to make it shiny/chrome looking - busy taking everything off but the gear on it is all realatively ok 👍 - was a massive CB fan when I was a kid

Latest posts

Back