1996 Univega Alpina - Steel drop-bar/gravel project

Fatal Swan

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I got my first MTB on my 13th birthday - a 1993 Univega Rover T2.5. Univega were not a particularly well known brand in the UK at the time, but developed something of a following I suppose. It was an entry level model but compared to the similarly-priced Halfords-based dross of the era (I forget whether it was the Activator 1 or 2 at the time) it was clearly a 'real' MTB and I was sold on the one in the local shop which had a really smart smoked chrome finish and rapidfire shifters. It was also way lighter than anything else I'd tried. I had it for a few years until the only original part left was literally the frame itself. It took a proper beating over about 3 years and I eventually swapped it for a Rockhopper which I never felt anything like the same affection for.

By chance I saw a Univega on ebay lately, not exactly the same the frame, but very close - a couple of years more recent and a better spec, but in exactly the same smoked chrome finish. My size, cost next to nothing including postage, so I couldn't resist and suddenly had ended up with a project that I really don't need. Now it's arrived, in decent nick overall, and I have to figure out what to do with it! It's currently my only retrobike and I'd really love to actually use it for something, but the only space I have is somewhere between my brilliant modern road bike and modern MTB. I always hear that gravel bikes are 'like 90s MTBs with drop bars' so I think I'm going to put that to the test with a drop bar conversion. Either as a gravel bike or a kind of tourer/for rides with the kids etc. I've got a good selection of parts left over to donate to it that I never got around to selling: a SRAM 2 x 10 drivetrain, a set of 1st gen ceramic Crossmaxes doing nothing, Avid Mag V-brakes, carbon drop bars, Charge saddle, and that should get me most of the way there!

I've started the disassembly as I can't wait to get cracking on this one! I wanted to get to the old bottom bracket out as this is the most likely sticking point (literally) on a 25 year old bike. Drive side was no problem, non-drive side stuck pretty tight. However I took my time, let plenty of oil seep into the threads, spent the waiting time bodging a bolt-on assembly for the tool to secure tight to the splines, and with a couple of wholehearted blows of the mallet (the kind you just can't do with carbon frames...) it was on its way!

The next priorities are going to be: getting a 28.6 front mech to work with top pull cable routing, 34/50T modern double crankset (hoping it clears the chainstays...) and SRAM STIs, finding some 1" headset spacers, finding a black 26.0 seatpost.

Attachments

• Univega (Custom).jpg
    Univega (Custom).jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20210713_112216 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_20210713_112216 (Custom).jpg
    363.7 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Should be a nice project, you seem to have some nice parts to go on it! I always found Univegas rode really nicely, underrated brand IMO.
You shouldn’t have too much difficulty finding the remaining parts you need. You could try using the mtb front mech, I found sometimes it does work despite the pull ratio difference etc. If not then a road front mech (with shim if needed) should do the job.

Fully disassembled this morning, weighed the frameset for reference and I've put on some of the parts just to I can check the geometry is going to work. It definitely is! :) Photos of how the outline of the bike will look below.

Currently has Panaracer Pasela 32mm on it but I may go with something fatter/knobblier in the end - I have a set of Kenda Klimax 345gs that would be pretty good for it.

I'm pretty pleased with the weight: frame with 1" headset fitted is 2280g, fork is 1075g. This one is going to be a lightweight build in the end!

Next I need some spacers for the BB - the chainring just about clears the chainstay but the crank arm doesn't. I'm going to have to get hold of black 1" stem spacers too, then probably a black seatpost though the 26.0 size is a pain in terms of decent options. Also waiting on some travel agents to arrive before I sort out the brakes.

Attachments

• !cid_1b0ced84-8c3d-4d60-a32c-46062fb75cce.jpg
    !cid_1b0ced84-8c3d-4d60-a32c-46062fb75cce.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 86
  • !cid_2f66e167-553b-4e18-bb3c-c268279d0a2a.jpg
    !cid_2f66e167-553b-4e18-bb3c-c268279d0a2a.jpg
    895.6 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Not far off now! It's all up and running, I've had a quick test up and down the street and the geometry's perfect after using a shorter stem and flipping it. Just a few more bits I want to replace: a black seatpost when something suitable in 26.0 shows up, black 1" stem spacers to replace the silver ones, matching red QRs and maybe some chainring bolts...

Weight is around 9.2kg / 20.5lbs as pictured

IMG_20210805_122924.jpg

IMG_20210805_122954.jpg
IMG_20210805_123003.jpg

IMG_20210805_123018.jpg

IMG_20210805_123038.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! A very inspiring build. I found a 'facebook marketplace special' £25 near to mint 95 Alpina 503 with 22" frame in british racing green. I was unsure which way to take it but going down the drop bar, semi weight weenie route is a strong one! I may do it myself

244BF18C-09D9-4858-85B6-84DDB42F9099.jpeg

If this was a recently taken pic it would be your phone in your hand you were checking out…. but the perfect colouring of that hedge makes it look like you’re staring lovingly at a broccoli floret! 😂

Last edited:
From memory it was a Cateye Mity II :) I seem to remember there'd just been a how-to article on trackstands in MBUK (maybe with Rob Warner?) and even though I couldn't remotely do one I got one of my mates to take a photo of me casually sitting on the bike checking out some data with both feet on the pedals in the split-second before I collapsed into the gravel. I imagine it needed a few takes, but in fairness to my 14 year old self, it kind of worked 😜

Thought it would be cool, to post this here. I am the current custodian of this frame after a very kind Karma from Fatal Swan. I also wanted to go down the gravel route, although my build is nowhere near as high end like the original. Anyway, after a proper rummage in the parts bin and some ebay crank and shifter purchases, I've ended up with this, quick spin today to test the concept and its ace. Might try and get some riser drop bars for it but other than that it's ace! A few obvious aesthetics that need to be sorted but didn't want to do too much if it wasn't right. Anyway cheers Fatal looking forward to getting out on it proper soon. IMG_1253.jpg
IMG_1254.jpg
IMG_1256.jpg
IMG_1255.jpg

Back