1996 Trek Y 22 nude before & after

dmccart2

Devout Dirtbag
The "before" pic first w/ a looong Dean stem & aftermarket Specialized Body Geometry saddle which came w/ the bike upon purchase. Some old-school looking aftermarket pedals w/ traps.

Attachments

• 96' Y 22.1 1.jpg
    96' Y 22.1 1.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 6,171
  • 96' Y 22 o1.jpg
    96' Y 22 o1.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 6,170
"After" pics

Here is the bike w/ modifications which took me > a year to accomplish, gathering the various bits. Here's the list:

Manitou Mars C fork w/ the carbon arch
Stratos Pro rear shock w/ remote lock-out
Suntour XC Pro lock-out lever [mounted on handlebar] (old school part ;)
Thompson seatpost & stem
Chris King headset
Selle San Marco "Race Day" saddle
Kooka cranks
RaceFace Ti bottom bracket
RaceFace "Next XC" carbon straight bars
Cat Eye "Enduro 8" cycle computer
Pedro's "Prayer Stiks" grips
System Components OCLV bar-ends
Lizard Skins "Ball Frog" stem pad (leather w/ carbon fiber weave)
Crank Bros. "Acid" gravity racing carbon/Mg platform
http://www.crankbrothers.com/pedals_acid3.php
XTR 8-spd shifters & brake levers (single-unit)
Avid Ti "Single Digit" brake calipers
Salsa carbon, rear, brake-booster (probably unnecessary as the rear triangle is aluminium?)
XTR 8 spd cassette (couldn't get my hands on a usable SRP Ti cassette :(
Precision billet rear derailleur
Tamer (cycle components U.S.A.) carbon hubs laced to Mavic X517 hoops
Kore Ti, anodized red skewers
Ritchey WCS Omegabite 2.1 front & Z-Max 2.1 rear tires which are, sadly, no longer w/ me :(

Only stock part is: Deore LX front derailluer :p (Works great, why fool w/ it)

Attachments

• Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 6,164
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 6,163
  • CIMG1284.JPG
    CIMG1284.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 6,163
swapped out Manitou fork for rebuilt stick Judy

Took the OEM Judy XC & rebuilt it using the "Total Air" cartridges which seem to be no longer available :( I really like them and the bike was designed to run the Judy XC anyway. My mech told me that he thought I should keep running the Manitou's but I overruled him and gifted him w/ the Manitou's as he has helped me in a bind countless times. One day I might get another set of Manitou C 3's. I suspect the Judy's w/ the Total Air's will last me a while as I'm not the type of rider who often gets a lot of air-time. I'm more of a grueling type of "grind out the miles" kind of rider :) Nothing I love more than creeping up a hill whilst applying enormous pressure/newton metres to my pedals. Love that burn :p
As an aside, I had to re-install the OEM Fox Alps 4 rear shock as the Stratus Pro internals finally gave way/exploded :(

Attachments

• CIMG1223 1.JPG
    CIMG1223 1.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 6,146
  • CIMG1225 1.JPG
    CIMG1225 1.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 6,146
better view of shifters/brakes

You can see the Avid Ti brake calipers, XTR shifting/brake pods, OCLV bar ends better in this pic

Attachments

• Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 6,120
Christoph2.8i":2barbtvk said:
Nice bike mate, love those frames! ;)

That saddle looks comfy!!

Chris
I like the saddle in that the sides are "shaved" to allow for more movement but I have a lighter saddle if I were in a race for something of value:
Titec "Ithys" w/ Ti rails :D

I did take the Specialized Body Geometry saddle off immediately, even though some swear that it is one of the most comfortable saddles ever made, because of weight (chromo-rails) and size. It is comfortable but it seems overly large to me. That's why I mounted the Selle San Marco Race Day. I like it because it has a Kevlar reinforced top, a thin and narrow gel channel in the center, and shaved sides for better mobility & less weight. I know, I'm a parts geek :roll:

Hmmm my favourite version of Y frame - the carbon and polished alloy looks sweet. Who'd believe it's 15 years old.

Anyone heard of a life-span for a carbon bike frame? I thought I read somewhere that carbon bikes lose their frame integrity after so many years. Anyway, this bike, as many here know, has an aluminium endoskeleton for reinforcement so I'm not overly concerned that it's just going to break in half whilst I'm riding it.

That's nice ! Love the look of those Tamer hubs....looks like some pearl finish on some old Tama drum shells :D

May I know what resulted in the failure of your Stratos Pro shocks? Failure due to age/ wear & tear or leaking air/ oil seals? I am running one of those shocks on a Y bike now and hoping to learn more of the common failures associated with them. My holds up pressure pretty well and has been on the bike all its life. Not much alternatives for the replacement shock if they do fail unless I go for the likes of 165mm shocks like Risse racing (heard that was supposed to be the shock specc'd for the Y before production & they still have applications for the Y models) , Fox RP??.

Cheers & enjoy your ride !

The front bit of the Trek Y frames are an OCLV monocoque carbon. The Cannondale Raven is the one with the cast magnesium spine. The Trek does have a lifetime waranty though if you're the original owner.

Attachments

• raven_ad.jpg
    raven_ad.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 5,893
Back