1996 Kona Kilauea

retroJIM

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Thought I'd start a build thread for this Kona Kilauea that I picked up at lunch time.

It's in OK condition but there's plenty of rust and it needs a good clean and degrease. Happily a lot of the parts are original including a pair of Scratch and Sniff tyres. My plans are to strip it all down clean it up and rebuild it replacing any parts that aren't period correct or have worn out.

This is what she looked like when I picked her up. Strangely it only has one pedal.

IMG20220331133003.jpg

Thankfully the Seatpost hadn't seized too badly and I was able to remove it without too much trouble.

So I think the FSA Power Pro cranks will be replaced with a mid 90s crank from Shimano, Sugino or possibly a Kona Curve if I can find a good one.
The front derailleur is from Sachs for some reason so I'll replace that too.
I'll also change the cables, brake blocks, grips and probably the saddle as well as sorting some pedals.
The Club Roost riser Bars might stay I've not decided yet.
If I can find some suitable Project Two forks I may swap out Rockshox Quad 21s, though they do still seem to work.
The Shifters are Deore XT m739 which I prefer over Grip Shift so they'll stay too.

I think everything else is original so will stay.

Looking forward to getting this all sorted and seeing how it rides.

Last edited:
Yeah, they liked to mix the groupsets and components up.

I was going off the 1996 UK Catalogue. 22.8lbs is an impressive weight. I doubt mine is anywhere near that currently.

Kilauea.PNG

Hi, i've recently picked up a 96 Kilauea too, in good condition and almost original. It has also Sachs front mech. (saddle and grips are a bit of tuning done from me)
20220329_103045.jpg

Its meeting weight expectations.
The suspension fork on yours adds s bit of extra weight.

I'm sure you'll the bike, so am I.

Hi, i've recently picked up a 96 Kilauea too, in good condition and almost original. It has also Sachs front mech. (saddle and grips are a bit of tuning done from me)

Its meeting weight expectations.
The suspension fork on yours adds s bit of extra weight.

I'm sure you'll the bike, so am I.
That looks great. Wish mine still had the P2 forks.

All stripped down and working on cleaning it all up. A healthy amount of patina.

I can't work out how they managed to fit the club roost bars. The stem face plate isn't removable and the bend in the bars is jamming on the stem clamp as I try to remove them. Maybe they prised them open with a wedge or something. I'm reluctant to do that for fear for breaking the clamp. 🤔

IMG20220402150119.jpg

IMG20220402205516.jpg

Back