The 97 Kona Kilauea Restomod Project

Paul R

Senior Retro Guru
Hi all

I was looking at going up a frame size to 20'' after slowly finding I was a bit maxed out on my 19'' 98 Explosif and after a long few months searching a lovely bit of 97 came up so snapped it up quick. It still has its original tripple butted fork, front wheel with kona java hub, seatpost, stem (not fitted), kona curve bar and some of the drivetrain.

Plans are to get paint matched and tidy up the paintwork a bit as its just been touched in with black and fit all the parts recently stripped off my 98 Explosif frame which I'll be putting up for sale soonish.

For now i have just got it all working the chainline was a bit stretched in certain gears which was down to a 113mm axle bb being fitted so swapped that out for a correct 110mm and the chain was a link to long. The rear mech cable kept clanging against the downtube on shifts so that was sorted by moving the cable guide under the bb to the other hole which gave a smidge more clearance and seems to have stopped it. With that done it was all ready to ride in fairly stock form.

Ridden it 40 miles or so on it so far, Its much more springy and complaint than the explosif which is nice on the roads. The curvy columbus tubing and paint is gorgous very happy.
Weight is pretty good too just a little under 25lbs

Cheers

DSC_3436.JPG

DSC_3445.JPG DSC_3441.JPG DSC_3440.JPG DSC_3438.JPG DSC_3437.JPG DSC_3434.JPG

Wow -- looks like you scored a good 'un! From the photos the paintwork looks pretty tidy already. Interesting notes on the ride compared to the Explosif -- and of course, a better fit on the 20" will help with that too.

Looking forward to seeing the parts swap-over under way.

Cheeky ask but if you do find a good paint match I'd appreciate any details.

Have one needing some touch-ups too.

Yes sure i'll try and remember to post it up on here. I did see this recommendation in someone elses thread but not tried it myself.
DSC_3390.JPG

Plans have changed slightly im going to ride it as it as pretty much for now until the weathers warmer then i'll sort the paint and swap parts over seems silly stripping it down twice.

I have made a few revisions though. I've put on some silver X-light stubby bar ends, swapped the schwalbe marathon supreames over from old wheels, put my gold hope seat clamp on it as the one on there is horrible and also serviced the rear hub. The front kona javva hub turned out to be cartridge bearings and smooth as silk still.

Wheel service used the ultrasonic cleaner for fun.

DSC_3462.JPG DSC_3463.JPG DSC_3465.JPG DSC_3471.JPG DSC_3472.JPG DSC_3474.JPG
DSC_3475.JPG DSC_3476.JPG DSC_3478.JPG DSC_3479.JPG

Back