1996 GT Zaskar LE- how would you build it?

Both BB's need a spacer if fitted to 68mm shells,no spacer normally needed for 73 mm shells.The standard supplied spacer is around 3mm wide,although Shimano did produce other sizes,often needed when fitting e-type derailleurs.XTR had thick carbon mounting plates,XT/LX thinner steel.
Goes on the non drive side,but spacers can be used on either side in some cases in order to adjust the chainline.If you were to use a 108/118mm Shimano road octalink BB for example.Never done it personally but is possible on some setups.
68mm shell,M952 BB,Standard spacer..
View attachment 538520
Thanks for the info CaptainCowelly!

How you getting on? nudge.
Not a great deal of progress, work/ house getting in the way! Have sourced most parts to put it together, just need to find the time, and order a BB tool!

I’ll be on the look out for some nice Ti bars and a black control tech stem with minimal rise, and reasonably short too..

Not a great deal of progress, work/ house getting in the way! Have sourced most parts to put it together, just need to find the time, and order a BB tool!

I’ll be on the look out for some nice Ti bars and a black control tech stem with minimal rise, and reasonably short too..
Still got those tyres? 😘

I think my next project will be something like this. All parts second hand, used but in good condition.

As you have said, the fram have some dents and chips etc but I can image with some interenting parts but not expensive like some XT brakes, XTR900 RD and XT levers etc. All with good prices. Thye will look used but with that feeling of a top bicycle.

The problem when you buy NOS or mint condition bicycles is that you pay a lot of money and any scratch ruin the experience. Of course I like min bicycles but one used with some scratches ... I like too. I will enjoy a lot :)

Back