1996 GT Zaskar LE- how would you build it?

I have a 96 stamped Zaskar frame but they are meant for sale the following year so I consider mine a 97.I have full m950 with 97 Z2 Bams,Azonic World Force bars,Cattlehead stem and its a peach,a keeper.

For an 8 speed set up, as it is currently, do I need a long cage or short cage rear mech?

also, what diameter front DR does the 96 Zaskar use?

From research I think I need a 73mm BB shell and a 107 mm spindle, unless anyone knows any different?

do the XT/XTR BB’s usually Come with the axle, or is it a case of me buying a BB then sourcing the correct sized axle.
A medium or long cage depending upon what cassette you run - e.g. 11-28 should be fine with a medium.

Ask d8mok about Zaskar specs he's your man.

XT/XTR bb's are sealed units with axle. Axle length will depend on what chainset you have. For the LX one currently installed have a look at Sheldon Brown here:

Thanks for the responses over the last few days chaps.

I’ve been offered a package of the following:

XTR M952 mega 9 crankset/BB
XTR M952 Mega 9 shifters, Front and Rear mechs
XTR M950/951 v brakes/levers
Mavic 217 sunset rims with M950 hubs.
8 speed cassette

Now, I know M952 is a couple of years later than the bike, and from previous bike builds, I’ve always tried to get them era correct. Does this really matter? what would be a fair price for items above?- it’s all in nice condition.

Are there any potential issues with using the above set up, or will I be happy with it all? From a performance and looks perspective (it looks very similar to M950 stuff, bar the chainrings/spider.
Any issues using 9 speed shifters/mechs with an 8 speed cassette?

Thanks a lot.

You won't be able to run 9sp shifters with 8sp cassette, but all you'll need to do is swap out the cassette for a 9sp one and you'll be good to go.

If you need one, I have a few, not m952 though, but top end sram.

Pricing on m95x stuff is pretty strong, especially if in good condition. Cranks upwards of £100 if little to no heel rub, bbs 50 ish or more, brakes 75, levers upwards from 50. Sunset rims are pretty sought after so command a hefty price if little brake wear, hubs can go for 100 plus a pair.

It is the best retro xtr in my opinion.

Nothing wrong with not going period correct in my book, use m952 on most of my retro builds. Vs just work better and have cleaner lines than cantis, though you do end up with unused canti mounts on frames and forks. No biggie, but some will disagree I'm sure.

Your build plan sounds great if you can get it all for a decent price.

You won't be able to run 9sp shifters with 8sp cassette, but all you'll need to do is swap out the cassette for a 9sp one and you'll be good to go.

If you need one, I have a few, not m952 though, but top end sram.

Pricing on m95x stuff is pretty strong, especially if in good condition. Cranks upwards of £100 if little to no heel rub, bbs 50 ish or more, brakes 75, levers upwards from 50. Sunset rims are pretty sought after so command a hefty price if little brake wear, hubs can go for 100 plus a pair.

It is the best retro xtr in my opinion.

Nothing wrong with not going period correct in my book, use m952 on most of my retro builds. Vs just work better and have cleaner lines than cantis, though you do end up with unused canti mounts on frames and forks. No biggie, but some will disagree I'm sure.

Your build plan sounds great if you can get it all for a decent price.
Many thanks for the reply Ishaw. I was under the impression that with a little adjustment of the mech’s you can run a 9 speed set up with an 8 speed cassette. However I am very much out of the loop on all this!

Will a 9spd cassette fit on an M950 hub ok? Also are SRAM cassettes compatible with Shimano stuff?

just want to know what I’m letting myself in for before I pull the trigger!

cheers :)

Surely you can just adjust the limit screws not to allow the final click ?
Personally I’d just buy a 9 speed M750-770 etc cassette

Surely you can just adjust the limit screws not to allow the final click ?
Personally I’d just buy a 9 speed M750-770 etc cassette
Sounds like the easiest option (buying a cassette), but I have heard that you can adjust the limit screws too.

Back