1996 Deore LX SL-M569 better or worse than a modern Altus SL-M315?

LX should feel better regardless of it's age. Groupsets further up the hierarchy are made of better materials, often lighter & longer lasting. One of the things I notice on low spec groupsets is the need to press the gear lever/trigger once per shift, whereas on better stuff you can sweep the derailleur up say a 9speed cassette in 2 pushes of the lever. It just feels so cheap to me tapping away at a lever 8 times. Cheap groups' have heavy chainsets, steel rings, floppy pivots & the stigma of being low end. I'd sooner buy decent 2nd hand parts tbh.

As above, don't do the swa to 1x9 bit by bit, you'll end up with compatibility issues. What sort of budget and spec are you looking to end up with? I and many others on here will undoubtedly have parts at decent prices to get you where you want to be.

One thing to watch out for is that some rear freehubs are designed for up to 7speed cassettes. They won't take 8 or 9, or even 10 if you wanted to go that far. What rear hub do you have?

If I were going 1x9 or 10, I'd be looking for a rear mech, shifter and cassette plus a narrow wide front chain ring, as well as a chain.

It would be rude not to change cable inners and liters while at it.
this is helpful stuff - I think I'll work out a budget for the 1 x idea and then asking on here if anyone has the parts is a great shout.

Thanks for the responses here.
I think I've muddied the conversation here by mentioning a possible future plan for 1x9 but the reason I'm going to do it bit by bit is because I want to try things and learn. learn how to do things, how things work together and what i like. I also dislike the current set up so I want to do what I can as soon as possible. Eventually I'll get all the bits I like at one time and do a proper change over but I want to learn and test things between now and then. Currently my budget doesn't cover changing the wheel/ hub so I'm stuck with 7 speeds.

But really I'm just asking if the LX will feel better or worse than the altus given everything else is the same and can it shift down three gears in one like the Altus can.
Thanks
I've learned far more from conversations and threads on this forum than I have from buying and trying stuff. I've found it to be cheaper too. Little snippets of priceless information imparted in passing, by people far wiser than me, has taught me as many 'whys' as 'whats'.

The lx shifters will only do 1 gear at a time.

I think the mc12s are 7sp only, could be wrong. I think I found out the hard way once.

What sort of crank are you after?

Back