1995 Vario No Limit downhill prototype

Odd the rear brake isnt logo'd Hope. The black ones were mk2 and those had logo's
eg
View attachment 592023
I thought exactly the same, but it is 100% a Hope disc. As the frame was a prototype it may have pre-production parts fitted as the mk1 Hope discs didn’t have Hope written on them so may have been a pre-production transition part.

Not had a chance to clean/refurbish the callipers yet.

70ECB1D6-D60E-4176-B3E6-399E3F22B277.jpeg EFAE23EB-CB44-430E-B3E7-2578AB9ECCC8.jpeg D7B4ABE3-6E0E-460F-985D-F0A327B6900C.jpeg B5170C8C-4E63-41F3-A7CC-348CE2423947.jpeg

Last edited:
Those forks and shock are beautifully made, be a shame to swap the forks for something less unique.

The Dola bike looks great all stickered-up with its crud catcher too, very cool 😎

Those forks and shock are beautifully made, be a shame to swap the forks for something less unique.
Completely agree...they look even better in the flesh.

I can't believe that I had never heard of or seen anything in relation to this suspension company prior to obtaining this bike as the quality of them is stunning and their designs were way ahead of the time. There is not a huge amount about the company on the internet, however having the company name of SPRING in the suspension market makes the search a little harder.

The frame has direct mounts for a Crud Catcher. I have sourced a NOS clear Crud Catcher so will be fitting that as the build progresses.

I will definitely be going down the sponsor sticker route on this build as although it will not be a like for like replica it will be a homage build using a factory prototype. I do love the Michelin decal crudely placed on the Crud Catcher, so that may have to be replicated.

Last edited:
This is definitely a cool bike, looking forward to seeing what you do with it, your attention to detail should result in something stunning.
MBUK tested what looks to be a slightly earlier version of the fork in their 94 group test. I still find it funny that 67mm was considered almost too much travel. _20211229_092311.JPG

This is definitely a cool bike, looking forward to seeing what you do with it, your attention to detail should result in something stunning.
MBUK tested what looks to be a slightly earlier version of the fork in their 94 group test. I still find it funny that 67mm was considered almost too much travel. View attachment 592036
Wow!! Thank you for sharing this, great find!!

A very interesting review considering that these forks only had at the time 7mm more travel than a Mag 21 with long travel kit (I have long travel Mag 21 SL Titanium fitted to my 94 Kona Hei Hei). Maybe the interview would have been different if conducted on a full suspension frame.

The SPRING forks I have seem to have a lot more material and machining on the lowers, crown and brake arch.

This was a dream bike for me and my riding buddies back in our teens.

Weirdly, for such a rare bike brand, one of the local bike shops in Northern Ireland furnished their “team” with these. They were therefore a fairly common sight at races for a while.

I don’t think I have seen a single one since in the flesh though.

Look forward to your build results!

This was a dream bike for me and my riding buddies back in our teens.

Weirdly, for such a rare bike brand, one of the local bike shops in Northern Ireland furnished their “team” with these. They were therefore a fairly common sight at races for a while.

I don’t think I have seen a single one since in the flesh though.

Look forward to your build results!

I have heard that the 90's Vario's were very crack happy that would explain the very few still in existence.

Mine is the only one I have ever seen in the flesh.

The Vario No Limit was produced in far smaller numbers than the more popular Vario Techno (linkage driven single pivot) that then went on to be the B1

As the frame was a prototype it may have pre-production parts fitted as the mk1 Hope discs didn’t have Hope written on them so may have been a pre-production transition part.
I think those ones you have are mk2 and the ones i have are mk3. The first cable brake looked radically different and was silver as the only option.

I think those ones you have are mk2 and the ones i have are mk3. The first cable brake looked radically different and was silver as the only option.
Yes I have a Mk1 Hope disc and front hub (available for sale) and they are completely different to these.

Back