1995 Marin Team Titanium XTR

Re:

Thank you so much.

Yeah, I toyed with the skewers change but I couldn’t bring myself to lose the XTR completeness, especially the effort and cost of the ones I found.

Would a titanium bottom bracket really make a difference ? I’ve got an UN-90 in there (being XTR)

I couldn’t bring myself to fanny around with the wheels. So lucky to find those ones and they just set the bike off right.

Haha. That’s a great spot on the headset. Sooooo, due due my lack of skill and tools, and In my haste, lack of patience and lockdown restrictions, I had the headset fitted at Halfords. They put a bearing in wrong, crushed it and lost the locking nut......

Here’s the latest picture after sourcing and having fitted by someone who knows what they are doing the latest. Halfords did pick up the bill though which wasn’t all bad.

Are there any other ways to photo a bike !??

Bits and pieces in boxes can’t be that exciting ?

Attachments

• EC8A4CB9-F608-42C2-A95B-0ADF85C2030C.jpeg
    EC8A4CB9-F608-42C2-A95B-0ADF85C2030C.jpeg
    379.6 KB · Views: 147
ah yes I remember your plea for a new one. What did you do with the old one?

Don't think you really want to hear the answer to the bottom bracket, UN91/71's are about 245/250g
Ti are around 165/170g
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14691&start=10

How about so full bike pictures and an arty shot and a covered in mud shot, of course the riding down a gentle slope with arse over the back and camera angled to make it look really steep shot, aka MBUK shot.

Re:

The old headset is sat in my cupboard as spares.

The cups are mint, top bearings mint. Top nuts are a little worn now and no locking ring obvs.

Hhhmmm. Tempting as it is....will give that some thought on the BB. I’m of a mind that it’s cheating a bit, but so are the Aerothan tubes.

What’s the best Ti bottom bracket ?

Re:

LOL. I’ll work on the photos, I’m trying to get into bike of the month though and a picture of me out of breath on a flat track with my arse crack out is not a good look by any stretch of the imagination.

British, available and harks back to the retro days, probably a Royce, White Industries (the WI is really light looking at their website)
General ones, then RaceFace, Hope, FSA Ultimax, if you can get hold of them.

Re:

Matt you’ve done a lovely build and as people have said, your achieved weight really is good. And yes, it can cost a lot to begin get to shave things off.

Here’s the recipe we used when losing ugly fat in the 1990s on exactly these frames.

Tyres...Kevlar folding beads and the lightest carcasses - usually porcs
Inner tubes...Specialized brown box lightweights
Seat post ... xtr not the lightest ... we used USE with long plastic shim
Grips ... foam not rubber
Cranks ... you’ve already got really nice light ones
Saddle ... avocet air 02 ti
BB ... Hope ti road bb - I sold some for 45 recently
Skewers ... contort Tech ti

This could add up to 1.5 to 2.5 lbs without really trying.

And having a poo before you go out....

Re:

That’s super advice thanks.

As stated I’m trying to keep everything as original as possible that’s visible so I’m not going to make any changes, plus the bike has cost me a chunk of change.

Bottom bracket isn’t visible so it sparked me, but like when I found myself weighing my toe straps I need to have a long look at myself and find something new to do.

Thanks for all the recommendations and appreciation

Matt

Re:

Hi Matt, there are some Rockstar forks on ebay at the mo:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1995-Marin-R ... SwgrlgRRN6

Worth checking the weight of them but for £100 you could lose around 500g at a guess over the Manitous, that would be the biggest swap-out.

Cheers
Matt

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Matt. That’s super kind of you.

I’m not actually trying to lose weight, not from my bike anyway. This has just worked out that way.

Wow. Sure am tempted with the forks. I wouldn’t want to change out the suspension but just to have with the bike.

Totally correct.

Back