1995 FSX Cartridge Leaking

superdan1984

Dirt Disciple
Hi there all, so i've got oil leaking on to the stantion on the cartridge side, so i'm guessing i've got a leaky cartridge.
So this is the 1st time i've ever had to do any fork repair, so i'm unsure quite how to go about this, however i've been looking into some options on how to best repair it.
1stly was gonna try to replace all the seals with seal kit which is easy enough to find on ebay, which includes new seals for the cartridge, however i'm uncertain that'll fix it.
I'd like to stick in a new cartidge with metal casing, but am finding it impossible to find any to buy online. So does anyone have any going, or does anyone know of any good places to get one?
Failing that shall i just buy another set of 1996 judy sl's to cannobalise and take the cartridge out of those?

I'm guessing the 96's are when they started using aluminium casing for their cartridges?

If i can't find any 96 sl's, what forks can i use to replace the cartridge in these instead?

Any help would be appreciated, was getting so close to the end of the project then my forks decided to flip the bird at me, ha!

Doesn't need to be SL, all in the range used the same cartridge..

You can modify the forks to take late cartridges or modify further to use as hydrocoil (OK you can modify a just to take hydrocoil, so I assume the FSX should be capable of it.
It on the forum somewhere, maybe the wiki.

Hi there all, so i've got oil leaking on to the stantion on the cartridge side, so i'm guessing i've got a leaky cartridge.
So this is the 1st time i've ever had to do any fork repair, so i'm unsure quite how to go about this, however i've been looking into some options on how to best repair it.
1stly was gonna try to replace all the seals with seal kit which is easy enough to find on ebay, which includes new seals for the cartridge, however i'm uncertain that'll fix it.
I'd like to stick in a new cartidge with metal casing, but am finding it impossible to find any to buy online. So does anyone have any going, or does anyone know of any good places to get one?
Failing that shall i just buy another set of 1996 judy sl's to cannobalise and take the cartridge out of those?

I'm guessing the 96's are when they started using aluminium casing for their cartridges?

If i can't find any 96 sl's, what forks can i use to replace the cartridge in these instead?

Any help would be appreciated, was getting so close to the end of the project then my forks decided to flip the bird at me, ha!

You need to figure out if your damper has the plastic body or metal. The only way to do that it by pulling it out.
If it is metal just replacing the two seals should do the trick.
If it is plastic you should look for alternatives. You can buy a second fork for parts any pray that has a metal one.
I have a NOS 75mm damper and neutral shaft for sale but they are not cheap.

I am in the process of developing a metal damper body kit which will convert the plastic bodies to metal, much like other companies did back in the 90s. I should have those done around the end of the month.

Back