1994 Dave Yates Diabolo - Updated 4/19/15.

Re:

About time you posted something in this section ;)

Glad you've finally found one mate

Re: 1994 Dave Yates Diabolo .

Cheers Adrian! The weather has been glorious up north so I have been gradually cleaning my bikes and getting photos of them, I did the road bike today and I might do the Zaskar or Saracen later into the week :D .

More goodies on their way this week!

I need to get the crank re threaded so I can remove it. If anyone wants an arm of it let me know. You can have it if you pay the postage and packaging, don't know why you would but the offer is there. A trip to the LBS is planned for this.

I've sent Dave an email as When giving the frame a wash this afternoon I took the frame number and it is slightly muddled from the email Orange71 sent to him a few moons ago. Also the dropouts are stamped Reynolds, does this mean it is not a Columbus frame or were all diabolo's like this ?

A quick update on the build!

I sent an email to Dave and the only thing he could tell me was it was made in 1994, if anyone has a diabolo with Reynolds stamped dropouts please let me know but I assume it's Cromor.

I also have some drive-train and a nice set of wheels bought from Fatchicken2 on the forum, they were split from a Saracen Traverse, here's some pics:

I'm really pleased with all the bits, I never really thought of Ritchey rims and wanted Mavics but looking at them the Ritcheys seem good quality and nice and light so I think they will stay. I also fancied a Middleburn crankset but the XT's turned up and they will look great polished up so I will see what happens...

A quick mock up of the frame and wheels:

The head angle seems much slacker than my Zaskar so I'm looking forward to seeing how it rides...

I also have in mind a few things which may look good on the bike. A salsa quill stem and a USE seatpost. I think I will go for a flite in the saddle department, a perforated one would look great but it's finding one for a reasonable price is the problem. I think I'm going to go Attacks in the grip department also.

Thanks Nick! It will be sent of to Dave for a repaint, I think a deep metallic purple is the one. The purple on Dave's chart isn't quite dark enough but I believe he can offer other paints. It will be done in metallic/pearlescent paint and I will contact Gil M when the time comes for some decals.

I am going to build the bike up first and make sure everything is running smoothly and then get it repainted.

Ollie":1z4dr455 said:
Also the dropouts are stamped Reynolds, does this mean it is not a Columbus frame or were all diabolo's like this ?

Not necessarily, there are various suppliers for dropouts, braze-ons and tube sets, and builders like Dave would select the best combination based on price/availability/requirement from their preferred suppliers/whatever they had in boxes at the time.

I can't recall what dropouts my Diabolo had, but the 753 Yates I have doesn't have Reynolds dropouts, but is made from Reynolds. Obviously.

According to H Lloyd, Dave can provide the original decals too by the way.

Thanks Rod I has a discussion with Ed (Orange71) and that's what he thinks.

I heard that Dave can supply decals however I fancy a set of the later style like Caloraddo's with a Silver outline and a black fill. If you supply Dave with decals he can fit them before lacquering.

Thanks for the help, Ollie.

Back