1993 Marin Team Titanium

I'm quite surprised at the interest this bike has made, as usually my bikes go through this forum relatively quietly. I've actually received a few phone calls and emails about it! I guess it got me thinking as to why, and I think it's all about timing. You see, all these parts are pretty hard to come by now, and getting very expensive for what they actually are, but I bought all these years ago and stored them away when their value was pretty low versus today. So, whilst it seems I've gone and found all this recently, I stress that it's been lugged around in boxes for years.

Anyway, thanks for the appreciation and motivation so far. Back to business...

So far, only a few bits have turned up in the post, so I'll give a little update. The most interesting parts are the canti bolt surrounds that I've specified for Chris (Rampage) to make up, and here they are through their various stages, starting with fresh off the machine...

246kyvk.jpg

Then just after anodising, and still a bit wet...

2ykyh6u.jpg

qqti10.jpg

I'm not sure what the other bits are in the photo, but they're not mine so must be something else he's working on.

As soon as the cable outers turn up I can get most things finished off.

Benandemu":1lxsah3t said:
I'm quite surprised at the interest this bike has made, as usually my bikes go through this forum relatively quietly. I've actually received a few phone calls and emails about it! I guess it got me thinking as to why, and I think it's all about timing.

I think it's more to the attention to detail you're applying, the quality of the build and the bike itself (it's more top-end, it's Ti, it's rarer than the norm). I'm not a fan of Marin's at all (to my eyes they look way too big and gate like), but this one really does look excellent. Keep it up!

Re:

Lovely build :cool: ...and good work on the frame and fork :)

Cheers

I've had an idea with the seat post problem which came to mind once I realised that 27.4 to 26.8mm shims don't exist as they're too thin. I'll make my own!
So, the difference between the two sizes is 0.6mm, which when halved equates to a 0.3mm deficit all the way around. I looked up Aluminium sheet in 0.3mm, but it's not readily available, so I looked at copper, which is available in that size. So I bought a small sheet from ebay for under £2 so I could try out my theory. Here it is ready rolled around the seat post...

2cnz0o8.jpg

Just needs trimming with tin snips now I've got the shape. Carefully inserted with the seat post, so that it doesn't push it down too far, and tightened up with a temporary seat pin bolt, and it works perfectly. The insulation tape is to protect the seat post from dropping down too far!

9ppefp.jpg

Back