1993 Lotus Sport Monocoque

The decal "otto-bikes.de" is misleading. "OTTO" is in fact one of Germany's largest online retailers (formerly a classic catalogue merchant). They must have bought the domain at some point because of the name reference.

The domain "otto-bikes.de" used to belong to a bike shop in Berlin owned by Werner Otto a former East German track cyclist (Olympic silver 1972 in Munich on a tandem!). This same Werner Otto now owns another bike shop in Berlin called "Velo Sport Werner Otto GmbH" but doing business online under the trade name "Premium Bikeshop" (www.premium-bikeshop.de). Maybe its worth contacting them to find out more about the bike's history.

Cheers,
Andy

Re:

Dilemma No.1 Seatpost

So The Lotus's seatpost is 31.6 and the current one is a not too good looking alloy Race Face with a huge clamp

31865882088_7b3ff2e193_c.jpg

So I originally got really excited about using a carbon post and was looking at syncros items but after trying an Easton carbon post (destined for my proflex 857) I decided that carbon was just a bit too much black and not enough contrast to the frame

45012421494_e296705b77_c.jpg

So I have decided on a titanium post. I would love to find a USE post is good enough condition but might have to settle on a repro so I can nitride the saddle fittings.
The question is do I stick with 31.6 (first picture) or do I go for a 27.2 post (the Easton post) as I quite like the contrast of the skinny post with the thick seat tube. the saddle will be a Flite and I think a skinny seat tube complements them really well.

I would be grateful for opinions

Re:

Found an alloy 27.2 post in the garage so thought I'd try just to see the contrast

31909113328_0eebf51e82_c.jpg

Think the metal against carbon contrast looks better and still tending to favour a thinner diameter post

The post itself is pants but I like the contrast and know you’ve only used it as a mock up (I agree a carbon post would get lost) looking forward to seeing where this goes

What a great project to have - and so niche as well !

Super cool

Re:

Yeah I have boxes full of pant's posts :LOL:

I want to go for a titanium USE style post. You can get one's from china that are copies. Would be nice to get an original one but would need to be in great condition as I want to nitride the clamp.

Re:

Frame stripped this afternoon

43966380040_522f7cc07c_c.jpg

I daren't take out the cables until I know exactly how they're routed through the frame. I have been in touch with Chris Hornzee-Jones the designer who is going to give me some advice on changing the cables.

Have since taken out the hollowtech bottom bracket. Needed to use my compressed air impact driver, so I checked and checked again the removal direction as I always forget :shock: but all went well.

A few chips in the gelcoat here and there and lots of chipped gelcoat around the headset and I can now see why the "L" decal was placed so high up :roll: to hide a chip on the headtube. As said before I can repair these easily.

43966381040_39a0983af8_c.jpg

Don't forget to post up here about how to change cables... I'm sure *someone* will find it helpful.

I'd be reluctant to use a shimmed post in these, don't know why, just would. Also, the clamps on a USE post are Alloy, not ti, so don;t know if you could nitride that?

My_Teenage_Self":12h0umk3 said:
Don't forget to post up here about how to change cables... I'm sure *someone* will find it helpful.

I'd be reluctant to use a shimmed post in these, don't know why, just would. Also, the clamps on a USE post are Alloy, not ti, so don;t know if you could nitride that?

I’d have to agree about shimmining the seat post and I think mts is right about the alu parts as well.

Now seeing the frame in full I think that silver looks good.

Thanks

Tim

Back